Old July 30th 20, 09:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have always liked the Otterbox Folio cases for protection.
Not the most glamorous but I like the fact that it doesnt lock the
phone automatically when closed.
Usually find them on eBay for a fraction of the Manufacturers site price.

Old July 30th 20, 10:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 20:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being
dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the
first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.

The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a
load of bloatware.

Another vote for the Nokia 6.1. I've been very pleased with mine.

Old July 31st 20, 01:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone
Xiaomi - if you do

All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

mail?

I have and Xiaomi MI A2 which so far has worked well. I did try to
unlock it for fun but was unsuccessful, perhaps just as well as one
banking app said it would not work on a phone that had been unlocked.

--
Michael Chare
Old July 31st 20, 01:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2020 01:27:08, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Which bank? Root can be easily hidden from banking apps.
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk...HideHidingRoot

I had to wait a week for my unlock code. At least Xiaomi allow you to
unlock the bootloader and its free.

Old July 31st 20, 09:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have been happy with a couple of Moto G5's but have just gone over to
a Huawei P smart 2019 which is OK. Personally I like the cases with a
front that flips over the screen, but the fat rubbery ones with chunky
corners seem to work OK too. Probably worth adding an extra glass screen
protector. It looks as though the Huawei comes with one.

Old July 31st 20, 09:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-
Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail
I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data
but have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that
can withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

Lots of food for thought. Someone has gifted me a redundant Microsoft
something. (Does 4g so not very old) Doesn't meet any of the *drop*
criteria but does meet the low cost one:-)

Curiously my news reader put your post in my kill file. I suspect
someone else has used the * bit and Turnpike has picked up
on that.

The biggest problem is that I am 15 years behind the learning curve on
hand held technology:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Old July 31st 20, 10:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2020 01:39, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the link. It was Nationwide. I dislike the app as someone
with the phone gets three goes at guessing a 4 digit pin number to
access the account.

--
Michael Chare
Old July 31st 20, 07:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Old July 31st 20, 08:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

--
Michael Chare
Old July 31st 20, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

As on my free one:-)
Microsoft Lumia 640LTE Anyone any experience?

--
Tim Lamb