DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mobile phone (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/678236-mobile-phone.html)

Tim Lamb[_2_] July 30th 20 07:57 PM

Mobile phone

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.
--
Tim Lamb

Fredxx[_3_] July 30th 20 08:14 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone
Xiaomi - if you do

All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

mail?

polygonum_on_google[_2_] July 30th 20 08:20 PM

Mobile phone

On Thursday, 30 July 2020 18:57:37 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I'll suggest Here We Go (free) for navigation. Not perfect (not that any are) but pretty good. I use a 7 inch Samsung tablet with a very low data allowance which costs next to nothing. Not ideal as a phone but you can use it for calls and SMS, if you wish.

(I think it might be Samsung Galaxy TAB 4 7.0 SM-T235N WI-FI+4G 8GB but not certain.)

I can leave it on for days without having to charge it - mostly connected to wifi and checking mail from time to time, updates, etc. I don't need to charge it at all on the sort of journeys I make - that is, a few hours.

John Rumm July 30th 20 08:59 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] July 30th 20 09:04 PM

Mobile phone

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 18:57:19 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price

Define... I'm quite pleased with my Nokia 6.1 that costs around £150.

Navigation

The app you use is up to you but I guess this means it must have GPS.

Robust

The Nokia 6.1's body is machined from a solid lump of aluminium.

good battery life

The 6.1 will do several days on standby in a good signal area. At
home, poor signal, a couple of days.

mail

The app you use is up to you.

Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being
dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the
first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.

The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a
load of bloatware.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Martin Brown[_2_] July 30th 20 09:31 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

Mine is one of the older models with Gorilla glass and has survived a 6'
drop onto concrete with only minor spalling of the front surface.

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

It isn't quite stock Android but the battery life is very good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

JoeJoe July 30th 20 09:35 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.

- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade
- It does everything a £400-£1000 phone does, just doesn't look as fancy
(a little heavier/bigger)
- Very good camera
- Fast
- Battery is very good
- Support Fast Charge (at least twice as fast to charge)
- Takes SD card, so if memory an issue you buy a 64GB card for £15 and
put it in (supports up to 256 GB I believe)
- Splash-proof
- 2 year warranty
- Plenty of cases/screen protectors/etc on eBay for pennies
- Dual SIM (if you buy the right model)
- Navigation is through software (every phone nowadays has the GPS
hardware). Use Maps, Waze, or one of the many other free apps (Nokia do
a pretty decent offline one).
- Mail is also software (app). It comes with a free one that is very
good. Otherwise there are plenty free ones to choose from

For protection: buy a rubber/silicon case that covers everything but the
screen. Hardly noticeable and VERY robust. You can safely drop it from
your pocket to the ground. For the screen buy a glass screen protector.
They suggest that you could hit it with a hammer without causing damage
to the screen. Never tried that, but from experience it will protect
your screen from pretty much EVERYTHING. It is really good.
Both case and protestor are no more than a few pounds each on ebay and
will last you the lifetime of the phone (buy a pack of 2 screen
protectors, just in case).

We tend to upgrade them every 2 years or so and sell the old ones on
ebay for around 40-50% of the original price

Look for deals on the MOtorola website, Amazon, or just a Google search.

To choose the model use gsmarena.com

Andy Burns[_13_] July 30th 20 10:02 PM

Mobile phone

JoeJoe wrote:

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their
patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2
years later.

djc July 30th 20 10:25 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 20:35, JoeJoe wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.

- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Motorola are owned by Lenovo not Google.

They are good enough, I have one, cost me £65 in Tesco two years ago.

[...]

djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

JoeJoe July 30th 20 10:27 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 21:02, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their
patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2
years later.

You are correct, of course.

robert July 30th 20 10:55 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have always liked the Otterbox Folio cases for protection.
Not the most glamorous but I like the fact that it doesnt lock the
phone automatically when closed.
Usually find them on eBay for a fraction of the Manufacturers site price.

S Viemeister[_2_] July 30th 20 11:16 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 20:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being
dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the
first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.

The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a
load of bloatware.

Another vote for the Nokia 6.1. I've been very pleased with mine.

Michael Chare[_4_] July 31st 20 02:27 AM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone
Xiaomi - if you do

All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

mail?

I have and Xiaomi MI A2 which so far has worked well. I did try to
unlock it for fun but was unsuccessful, perhaps just as well as one
banking app said it would not work on a phone that had been unlocked.

--
Michael Chare

Fredxx[_3_] July 31st 20 02:39 AM

Mobile phone

On 31/07/2020 01:27:08, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Which bank? Root can be easily hidden from banking apps.
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk...HideHidingRoot

I had to wait a week for my unlock code. At least Xiaomi allow you to
unlock the bootloader and its free.

newshound July 31st 20 10:04 AM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have been happy with a couple of Moto G5's but have just gone over to
a Huawei P smart 2019 which is OK. Personally I like the cases with a
front that flips over the screen, but the fat rubbery ones with chunky
corners seem to work OK too. Probably worth adding an extra glass screen
protector. It looks as though the Huawei comes with one.

Tim Lamb[_2_] July 31st 20 10:19 AM

Mobile phone

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-
Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail
I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data
but have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that
can withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

Lots of food for thought. Someone has gifted me a redundant Microsoft
something. (Does 4g so not very old) Doesn't meet any of the *drop*
criteria but does meet the low cost one:-)

Curiously my news reader put your post in my kill file. I suspect
someone else has used the * bit and Turnpike has picked up
on that.

The biggest problem is that I am 15 years behind the learning curve on
hand held technology:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Michael Chare[_4_] July 31st 20 11:04 AM

Mobile phone

Â* https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk...HideHidingRoot

I had to wait a week for my unlock code. At least Xiaomi allow you to
unlock the bootloader and its free.

Thank you for the link. It was Nationwide. I dislike the app as someone
with the phone gets three goes at guessing a 4 digit pin number to
access the account.

--
Michael Chare

Another Dave July 31st 20 08:57 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

Michael Chare[_4_] July 31st 20 09:53 PM

Mobile phone

On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

--
Michael Chare

Tim Lamb[_2_] July 31st 20 10:45 PM

Mobile phone

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 31/07/2020 19:57, Another Dave wrote:
On 30/07/20 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I would like to add to the list the ability to replace a knackered
battery EASILY.

These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

As on my free one:-)
Microsoft Lumia 640LTE Anyone any experience?

--
Tim Lamb

AnthonyL August 1st 20 02:27 PM

Mobile phone

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:04:17 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have been happy with a couple of Moto G5's but have just gone over to
a Huawei P smart 2019 which is OK. Personally I like the cases with a
front that flips over the screen, but the fat rubbery ones with chunky
corners seem to work OK too. Probably worth adding an extra glass screen
protector. It looks as though the Huawei comes with one.

Long been happy with Moto - Wife and sister have Moto G4, I have Moto
G6+, all dual sim. Memory can be added as system memory not just
storage.

Full cases are great and with the right one the phone can be made to
prop up in landscape mode, handy for video chats or watching YouTube.

All were reasonably priced though I had to get the G6+ from Czeck Rep.
Stupidly either the G6+ single sim only or the G6 dual sim were the
only ones available in the UK.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?

Theo[_3_] August 1st 20 04:06 PM

Mobile phone

Michael Chare wrote:
These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

There is easy and there is easy. While phones might not have removable
batteries any more (ie tool-less batteries you can swap every day), some
have serviceable batteries - undo a few screws, back pops off, unplug
battery cable, plug in new one. You might need a small Torx screwdriver but
that's it. Then there are the phones that are full of glue and you first
need to heat gun off the screen

It's worth looking at iFixit for their repairability ratings as they tell
you how easy it is to do this sort of thing.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

Most phones nowadays have the SIM on a tray that slides into the side. The
battery removal is just an ancient design pattern of 'phone must be powered
down when SIM is changed' which they enforce mechanically by putting the SIM
underneath the battery. They didn't notice you can leave the phone on
charger while removing the battery.

Theo

Murmansk August 1st 20 08:35 PM

Mobile phone

Samsung M31 available only on Amazon looks good - I've just ordered one. £245 might be more than you want to pay

Vir Campestris August 1st 20 10:35 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:
All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

All smart hones maybe. My Samsung feature phone is over 10 years old,
and I reckon I drop it most months.

Andy

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_4_] August 1st 20 11:09 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Whichever you go for I've found the "otter-box" case is excellent.
It doesn't have a screen protector well, not on my Galaxy S8 but it's
had a few bounces on concrete and because the rubber case sits proud of
the top and bottom edges of the phone by at least 3 to 4mm it's managed
to survive without any damage so far.

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 1st 20 11:45 PM

Mobile phone

In message ,
Murmansk writes
Samsung M31 available only on Amazon looks good - I've just ordered
one. £245 might be more than you want to pay

Indeed:-)

The whole purpose of changing contract was because Vodafone, by various
subterfuges, have crept my monthly payment from £8.00 to around £13.50.
(the not previously mentioned £1.50 discount ending in... etc.)

They stuffed the offer with an extra 3Gb of data when I would happily
have settled for the reduction to £7.00/ month. (2 years only:-(

My needs beyond text and phone are relatively simple.

4g for coverage and security.

camera with PC connection provision

Micro SIM because I've got one.

What 3 words location app.

Maps/navigation useful although my wife carries an i-phone if she
remembers!

My biggest concern is that modern life is becoming reliant on possession
of a working mobile, public transport, bank security etc...

--
Tim Lamb

Robin August 2nd 20 08:08 AM

Mobile phone

On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

--
Robin

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 2nd 20 11:12 AM

Mobile phone

In message , Robin
writes
On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

Yes. They have just supplied a triple. Most modern stuff seems to
require Nano SIM.

Somebody will be along shortly to explain how to use a pair of
scissors:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 2nd 20 11:20 AM

Mobile phone

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Whichever you go for I've found the "otter-box" case is excellent.
It doesn't have a screen protector well, not on my Galaxy S8 but it's
had a few bounces on concrete and because the rubber case sits proud of
the top and bottom edges of the phone by at least 3 to 4mm it's managed
to survive without any damage so far.

OK.
I'm pausing to re-group. Somewhere along the way, Vodafone managed to
stick an unexplained charge of £148.00 on my account.
Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently fulsome in praising the call centre staff
on the follow up questionaire!

Said to have been sorted but, with direct debit payment, I am watching
my bank account carefully.

--
Tim Lamb

Andrew[_22_] August 2nd 20 10:40 PM

Mobile phone

On 02/08/2020 07:08, Robin wrote:
On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

Or even give it to someone who wants to steal your identity !

Max Demian August 3rd 20 09:46 PM

Mobile phone

On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

I just thought I'd mention that Argos are selling the Motorola E5 Play
for £64.95 (down from £89.95):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8520867

I've just picked one up and it looks like it can do the job for a low price.

--
Max Demian

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 3rd 20 11:24 PM

Mobile phone

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data
but have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that
can withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...
[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

I just thought I'd mention that Argos are selling the Motorola E5 Play
for £64.95 (down from £89.95):
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8520867

I've just picked one up and it looks like it can do the job for a low price.

Hmm.. The card payment system won't allow the card expiry date to be
entered:-(

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
Tim Lamb

Michael Chare[_4_] August 4th 20 12:06 AM

Mobile phone

On 02/08/2020 21:40, Andrew wrote:
On 02/08/2020 07:08, Robin wrote:
On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.
ransfer

Or even give it to someone who wants to steal your identity !

The Sim wont work until the recepient uses the Vodafone website to
transfer the number from the old Sime. Well that is what I have had to do.

--
Michael Chare

Michael Chare[_4_] August 4th 20 12:09 AM

Mobile phone

On 02/08/2020 10:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
[...]

If necessary just ring your bank and ask them to retrieve the direct
debit. You may need to be persistent but the bank should do as you ask.

--
Michael Chare

RJH[_2_] August 4th 20 09:51 AM

Mobile phone

On 2 Aug 2020 at 10:20:54 BST, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
[...]

Do. Tesco continued to take money from a direct debit some weeks after the
contract was cancelled. An hour on the phone sorted it out just about.

--
Cheers, Rob

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 4th 20 11:35 AM

Mobile phone

In message , Michael Chare
writes
[...]

OK So far. Vodafone need the DD for the monthly agreement. Phone call
from India! anxious to get the complaint lifted.

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 4th 20 11:37 AM

Mobile phone

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Max
Demian writes
[...]

Ah! Argos don't like Firefox! OK on Google crome!

--
Tim Lamb

charles August 4th 20 02:50 PM

Mobile phone

In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Max
Demian writes
[...]

I used Firefox to order from Argos only a couple of weeks ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Chris Green August 4th 20 02:55 PM

Mobile phone

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Max
Demian writes
[...]

I use Firefox and buy quite frequently from Argos, I've never had a
problem.

--
Chris Green
·

Tim Lamb[_2_] August 4th 20 03:48 PM

Mobile phone

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Max
Demian writes
[...]

I tried two different cards and two log-ins. (Barclays and NatWest.)

--
Tim Lamb