Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hole in petrol tank...

On 30/07/2020 04:31, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
That is the new tank fitted and thank goodness the sender and the pump
are working well.....at 67 I'm too old for this carry on but I'll be
fecked if I'm paying a garage ... I'll fit the new tailpipe next
week...too knackered......

I'm older than that and still havent gotten around to
seeing what is wrong with the windscreen washer bottle,
even tho I have a replacement ready. Its quite a bugger
to get to, you have to do it from inside the wheel arch
with the wheel removed.

Havent got around to even changing the spark
plugs that I have ready either to see if that the
reason it idles rough in the winter when its cold.

Once it warms up the problem is gone so I dont bother.

East do the plugs but its bit cold in winter.

yes why do today what can be put off until tomorrow....I'm like that
too...but the tank couldn't wait.....going like a dream...the tailpipe
will be a doddle after the tank....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 13:31:36 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
That is the new tank fitted and thank goodness the sender and the pump are
working well.....at 67 I'm too old for this carry on but I'll be fecked if
I'm paying a garage ... I'll fit the new tailpipe next week...too
knackered......

I'm older than that and still havent gotten around to
seeing what is wrong with the windscreen washer bottle,
even tho I have a replacement ready. Its quite a bugger
to get to, you have to do it from inside the wheel arch
with the wheel removed.

Havent got around to even changing the spark
plugs that I have ready either to see if that the
reason it idles rough in the winter when its cold.

Once it warms up the problem is gone so I dont bother.

East do the plugs but its bit cold in winter.

Cold? Have you gone nesh?

I wore an overcoat once, and that was a mistake, in 10+yrs down under.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Famous last words. Changing part of an exhaust that has been on
a few years, especially if you are using a 3rd party 'pattern'
replacement item can be frustrating when it doesn't exactly match
the original. That's assuming you can get it off without knackering
the centre pipe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

should be no problem pipe looks identical came from Poland thirty quid
delivered ... what is on is a one piece so just an angle grinder cut in
the right place push it on with some gun gum then clamp it...doddle....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

the right placeÂ* push it on with some gun gum then clamp it...doddle....

Ah, if only all (part) exhaust replacements were so easy ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
That is the new tank fitted and thank goodness the sender and the pump
are
working well.....at 67 I'm too old for this carry on but I'll be fecked
if
I'm paying a garage ... I'll fit the new tailpipe next week...too
knackered......

I'm older than that and still havent gotten around to
seeing what is wrong with the windscreen washer bottle,
even tho I have a replacement ready. Its quite a bugger
to get to, you have to do it from inside the wheel arch
with the wheel removed.

Havent got around to even changing the spark
plugs that I have ready either to see if that the
reason it idles rough in the winter when its cold.

Once it warms up the problem is gone so I dont bother.

East do the plugs but its bit cold in winter.

Cold? Have you gone nesh?

Nope.

I wore an overcoat once, and that was a mistake, in 10+yrs down under.

Where abouts here ?

We get a few killed a decade in the snowfields.

One pom I used to work with did get around in sandals
with and a linen shirt with no jumper all winter but
that was in the days before our garage sales. Can be
a bit chilly at =5C with a stiff breeze at 5:30am standing
around outside the cars talking to the other garage salers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:57 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 03:57:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:57??? And you've been up and trolling for half an hour ALREADY, you sick
senile trolling asshole from Oz!

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:28:29 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

On 23/07/2020 12:22, Fredxx wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:50:41, Andrew wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:26, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
what is the best stuff to patch a hole in a petrol tank ?

You can't. Any MOT tester worth his salt will spot it.
When my Mk 1 astra petrol tank started leaking from the
seams it cost me £50 to have it lined with something at
a company in Brighton, plus the cost of removal and
replacement.

Can you please cite a section of the MOT test that would fail a repaired
fuel tank? One that has no holes and no leaks.

Crossposted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

depends how good the repair is I suppose.....

The correct way is to remove the tank, fully empty it, purge it with
steam and then weld a suitable patch of steel at the site of the hole.
Not a cheap process.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

On 23/07/2020 12:22, Fredxx wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:50:41, Andrew wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:26, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
what is the best stuff to patch a hole in a petrol tank ?

You can't. Any MOT tester worth his salt will spot it.
When my Mk 1 astra petrol tank started leaking from the
seams it cost me £50 to have it lined with something at
a company in Brighton, plus the cost of removal and
replacement.

Can you please cite a section of the MOT test that would fail a repaired
fuel tank? One that has no holes and no leaks.

Crossposted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

depends how good the repair is I suppose.....

The correct way is to remove the tank, fully empty it, purge it with
steam and then weld a suitable patch of steel at the site of the hole.
Not a cheap process.

thank god for scrappies then ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

On 23/07/2020 12:22, Fredxx wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:50:41, Andrew wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:26, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
what is the best stuff to patch a hole in a petrol tank ?

You can't. Any MOT tester worth his salt will spot it.
When my Mk 1 astra petrol tank started leaking from the
seams it cost me £50 to have it lined with something at
a company in Brighton, plus the cost of removal and
replacement.

Can you please cite a section of the MOT test that would fail a repaired
fuel tank? One that has no holes and no leaks.

Crossposted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

depends how good the repair is I suppose.....

The correct way is to remove the tank, fully empty it, purge it with
steam and then weld a suitable patch of steel at the site of the hole.
Not a cheap process.

I'd silver solder - being advertised on FB etc as easy home "welding".
All you need is a plumbers propane torch. Flows better and much less
chance of a porous weld or pinholes.

Steam is supposed to heat remaining fuel in seams and drive it out.
Takes time and time is money. Steam condenses leaving the tank damp and
draws air in.

Better and quicker to fill with CO2, fuel vapour can't ignite in CO2.
It's denser than air so will fill the tank. Should be available in any
any good welding shop, home brewing supplies, fire extinguisher.

None of this works when the filler cap comes off with the rusty filer
neck attached on your Niece's Micra. Lucky the filler pipe was separate
to the tank and joins to the tank by rubber tube. Scrappy £10, only one
good one out of 5 cars, so I think this one had been replaced in last 5
years. E-bay £50 s/h. Nissan new well over £100.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

I looked at the climate charts for something near to southern Italy
and settled on Perth. No point in going all that way to have the same
weather as Snowdonia.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

That certainly explains why you never experienced it being
too cold to be convenient to do work on the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 03:45:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:45??? LOL Is it that time of the night again, you trolling piece of
senile ****?

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in message
[...]

Though at 44degC one Feb day it was too hot to be convenient to do
work on the car when it chose to splutter to a halt. Fortunately
there was an ice-cream van nearby to keep me chilled.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

wrote:

[...]

I'm going to bite. There are so many materials labelled as silver
solder. In the electronics industry it is sometimes use to include
tin/silver alloys with a melting point lower than tin but often still
higher than eutectic tin/lead. It will often have small amounts of copper.

Brazing rods can include silver but these are devilishly expensive.
Standard brazing rods less so. Propane can get a lump of steel up to
temperature but has to be a good lamp.

I thought the normal way to repair steel was to use tin/lead bars, with
a composition a little away from eutectic so to enter a paste stage?

Steam is supposed to heat remaining fuel in seams and drive it out.
Takes time and time is money. Steam condenses leaving the tank damp and
draws air in.

Water and tanks sound a bad combination for future rust. Another way is
to fill the tank with water and displace the fuel. I guess that become
a disposal issue for a business.

Better and quicker to fill with CO2, fuel vapour can't ignite in CO2.
It's denser than air so will fill the tank. Should be available in any
any good welding shop, home brewing supplies, fire extinguisher.

Sometimes used in boats and other places where heat is applied and to
prevent fires from starting.

None of this works when the filler cap comes off with the rusty filer
neck attached on your Niece's Micra. Lucky the filler pipe was separate
to the tank and joins to the tank by rubber tube. Scrappy £10, only one
good one out of 5 cars, so I think this one had been replaced in last 5
years. E-bay £50 s/h. Nissan new well over £100.

More painfully I've come across tanks that are £450 from a third party
where second hand is still in the £200 region.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

To silver solder, you need a decent torch, especially for a large work
piece.

I doubt a DIY plumbers torch would do the job.

(That is besides the safety issues - while you mention purging the tank it
really isnt a DIY job, especially for a corner cutter.)

--
https://www.unitedway.org/our-impact...an-trafficking
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

you mean me then?...yes I'm cheap...tee hee.....the new tank is working
well done about 500 miles on it now.....the hole in the old one was
getting bigger and bigger....gave up any thoughts of further repair