Steve

Default Replacing a concrete lintel

I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?
Steve Walker

Steve wrote:
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

HSS do hammer-in props for hire

Dave Jones

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

If the block work has no weight on it ie supporting the roof, then it will
support itself.

Dave Jones

Steve

"Dave Jones" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

If the block work has no weight on it ie supporting the roof, then it will
support itself.

Dave Jones

The garage is a semi-detached garage with a load bearing centre
blockwork wall, therefore the weight about the lintel is derived from
@ 4-5m (at highest point) decreasing over the length of the lintel.
There are 2 lintels, one for the inner blockwork and one for the outer
stone work.

Is it feasible to replace (or leave in place which ever is the
easiest) both of these lintels with a Catnic CG50/100 Open Back
Lintel?

Cicero

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

==================
I think it would be very dangerous to work under the unsupported blockwork,
bearing in ming that there is going to be quite a bit of banging and
hammering going on to remove the old lintel.

The correct method would be to knock out one or two blocks above the lintel.
Then insert a piece of 4" x 3" timber (called 'needles') through each of
the holes just made and support each end of the 'needles' on an acrow prop.
If you can't get access to both sides of the lintel to get the needles in
then you can use ' strongboys' which can be used from one side only. Have a
look at: www.machinemart.co.uk for pictures of 'strongboys' but note that
the picture shown doesn't show the correct use - they should be inserted
into holes above the lintel.

Bear in mind that the lintel (concrete - about 8' wide) will be very heavy
so you'll need help to remove it.

Cic.

dg

"Dave Jones" wrote in message ...
"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

If the block work has no weight on it ie supporting the roof, then it will
support itself.

Dave Jones

Assuming the joints are full, bond is correct,no cracks or other
voids, no other differential load spreading caused by nearby opening,
and that each end of the supported blockwork can withstand the outward
thrust.

However, in this case it appears that a mono-pitched gable is being
supported and so the blockwork will not be self supporting.

It may be cheaper to demolish and rebuild such a gable as opposed to
messing about trying to support it.

dg

acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
Concrete shed base Craig Graham UK diy 4 June 29th 04 06:46 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
what to replace a timber lintel with? mat. UK diy 6 February 2nd 04 08:53 AM
Cost to install a concrete pad? The Other Harry Home Repair 11 January 11th 04 08:53 PM