Cicero

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to extend my garage opening and am stuck at how to support
the blockwork above the concrete lintel before I take the lintel out,
as the RSJs run parrallel to the door?

Any ideas?

==================
I think it would be very dangerous to work under the unsupported blockwork,
bearing in ming that there is going to be quite a bit of banging and
hammering going on to remove the old lintel.

The correct method would be to knock out one or two blocks above the lintel.
Then insert a piece of 4" x 3" timber (called 'needles') through each of
the holes just made and support each end of the 'needles' on an acrow prop.
If you can't get access to both sides of the lintel to get the needles in
then you can use ' strongboys' which can be used from one side only. Have a
look at: www.machinemart.co.uk for pictures of 'strongboys' but note that
the picture shown doesn't show the correct use - they should be inserted
into holes above the lintel.

Bear in mind that the lintel (concrete - about 8' wide) will be very heavy
so you'll need help to remove it.

Cic.