Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Setting up Skype

My darling wife asked for my urgent help to set up Skype, so that she
could speak to her friend in the USA. I ran down, picked up the headset
that was on her desk, and placed it on her head. Job done.

She has many, many great attributes. Tech isn't one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 12:38, GB wrote:
My darling wife asked for my urgent help to set up Skype, so that she
could speak to her friend in the USA. I ran down, picked up the headset
that was on her desk, and placed it on her head. Job done.

She has many, many great attributes. Tech isn't one of them.

Now multiply that by a million, have them of age, illness, disability or
combinations - and have them alone staring at four walls, fed up of the
TV, told by the daily mail to avoid the internet, gained no hobbies or
outside work interests into retirement, lost a partner, gaining weight
eating out of boredom, not that great with gadgets. U3A, where/what is it?

Gubermint, needs to encourage folks to gain interests, fund courses
etc... Yup, we need to get lots back to work. We also need to do
something to get non-working folks interested again in the practical.

God forbid if in the future we go through something like this again.

My phone rings. There is someone that wants a chat.

Unfortunately, with their solitary phone line comms that is all I can
give them. They are not online :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought everyone was using Zoom these days. Looks like Skypes days are
numbered Microsoft wants you to hire Office 365, so is building in Teams,
and backing off support for Skype, it is a little poor these days anyway.
its had a good long run.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
My darling wife asked for my urgent help to set up Skype, so that she
could speak to her friend in the USA. I ran down, picked up the headset
that was on her desk, and placed it on her head. Job done.

She has many, many great attributes. Tech isn't one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 14:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
fed up of the TV

fed up *with* the TV

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought everyone was using Zoom these days.

Have managed to only use it once, now my cousin wants have a zoom
meeting to discuss some 'family business'

Looks like Skypes days are
numbered Microsoft wants you to hire Office 365, so is building in Teams,
and backing off support for Skype

Yes, they're slowly killing off the Lync/Skype4Business version in
favour of Teams, but are they killing off the non-business version of Skype?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 16:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I thought everyone was using Zoom these days.

Have managed to only use it once, now my cousin wants have a zoom
meeting to discuss some 'family business'

Looks like Skypes days are
numbered Microsoft wants you to hire Office 365, so is building in Teams,
and backing off support for Skype

Yes, they're slowly killing off the Lync/Skype4Business version in
favour of Teams, but are they killing off the non-business version of
Skype?

Certainly my main business client is moving from Skype to Teams. I
reckon Google Meet is OK for domestic use (others prefer Zoom but I have
not had to set a meeting using that yet). Meet is particularly easy if
you already use Google Calendar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Certainly my main business client is moving from Skype to Teams.

But that'll be the Skype4Business client you're moving away from.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 16:53:51 +0100, newshound wrote:

Certainly my main business client is moving from Skype to Teams.

Can't comment on Skype, last time I attempted to use it it was
useless, horrendous delay, bugger all echo supression and more coding
artifacts than understandable spoken language. That was decades ago
though.

I've had the misfortune to have to use Teams recently. What a pile of
poo that is. Reminds me of Windows programs also from decades ago.
Takes minutes from signing in to getting to the main user interface.
If you don't wait even more minutes before going to settings it won't
have anything listed for headphones, microphone or camera. There is
no, even basic, audio meter any where not even in settings. You have
to make a test call tocheck your microphone is working and test call
doesn't reliably check the level (your headphones could be turned up
or down...). It appears to overide or ignore the Windows 10 per app
audio routing. I've yet to find a way of deleteing anything from any
of the lists of test calls/meetings. It assumes that all cameras are
16:9, feed it 4:3 and you end up short and fat or at least that's
what the preview does. It also mirrors the image you see with no
option to switch to normal. First meeting I had a "raise your hand"
button, 2nd meeting no "raise your hand" button.

/soap_box

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2020 14:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
fed up of the TV

fed up *with* the TV

Why was the TV fed up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net, at
01:54:56 on Sat, 11 Jul 2020, Dave Liquorice
remarked:
I've had the misfortune to have to use Teams recently. What a pile of
poo that is.

It also mirrors the image you see with no option to switch to normal.

Skype does that too, so the background image you see comes up in mirror
writing (but others see it correctly). Very odd.

First meeting I had a "raise your hand" button, 2nd meeting no "raise
your hand" button.

That'll presumably be an option the person calling the meeting can
choose.
--
Roland Perry

Mixing different setting times of setting type joint compound blueman Home Repair 4 November 16th 11 04:34 AM
Skype Mick Cant UK diy 9 March 13th 09 05:23 PM
Can anyone help me fix my Skype? SteveB Home Repair 19 August 11th 07 03:32 PM
A new Expert-advice seeking relationship tool with Skype! [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 17th 06 11:13 AM
Skype and amp output on same connector? Bart Bervoets Electronics Repair 3 August 28th 06 05:15 AM