Pecanfan

Default Working with steel...

Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

5. What is 'RHS'?

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search the
net, but hey...)

Andy
SDS brick removing chisel has arrived - woohoo!!)

Grunff

Pecanfan wrote:
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

How big?

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, but far more sensible to buy them cut to the right length.

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

5. What is 'RHS'?

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search the
net, but hey...)

Bingo!

--
Grunff
Pecanfan

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

How big?

Not sure yet, but say 10mm holes through 8mm RSC.

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, but far more sensible to buy them cut to the right length.

I'm just wondering if stock lengths will be cheaper than custom-cut lengths.
What would you use to cut, say, the above?

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

5. What is 'RHS'?

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search

the
net, but hey...)

Bingo!

Aye, cheers... :-)
Found this site anyway, which might be useful for others...
http://www.buildingcatalogue.com.au/.../acronyms.html

Andy

Jerry Built

Pecanfan wrote:
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made
a small hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself
for the worst and have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

Drill a ring of holes, then join them using a larger bit, or
use a tank cutter type saw.

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes. Hacksaw or angle grinder, go through both flanges and
stop cutting 3/4" before the two cuts meet on the web, twist
each end and the steel will shear.

J.B.

Grunff

Pecanfan wrote:

Not sure yet, but say 10mm holes through 8mm RSC.

A normal drill with a decent drill bit will do this fine. If you have
lots to do, then a magnetic clamp drill will make doing them accurately
much quicker.

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, but far more sensible to buy them cut to the right length.

I'm just wondering if stock lengths will be cheaper than custom-cut lengths.
What would you use to cut, say, the above?

What do you have available to you? A 9" angle grinder will work well.

--
Grunff

Grunff

Tony Bryer wrote:

Depending on the context, rolled hollow section or rectangular hollow
section.

I was thinking Royal Horticultural Society.

--
Grunff
tony sayer

In article , Pecanfan
writes
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

With a drill bit soaked in oil. Start small and go slow and keep it well
lubed in oil and you should cut it quite well. Well at least I have

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes with a flame cutter, you can do it with an angle grinder use a 9
inch 'tho I have cut the off large steel section with a smaller one.
Or you could use a hacksaw just apply a lot of elbow grease!..

Better still get the supplier to cut to length.

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Pass on this one..

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

Ditto,,

5. What is 'RHS'?

Ditto..

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search the
net, but hey...)

Andy
SDS brick removing chisel has arrived - woohoo!!)

--
Tony Sayer

Cicero

"Pecanfan" wrote in message
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst

and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

======Blacksmith's drills 14 to 20mm from: www.screwfix.co.uk

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

======Yes, if you can get access to a mechanical hacksaw or bandsaw - both
from: www.machinemart.co.uk but probably not worth considering for a one-off
job. Use an angle grinder or buy a big stock of hacksaw blades.

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

=======Don't know!

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

=======Durbar plate - 1/4" thick steel or aluminium plate with anti-slip
tread pattern

5. What is 'RHS'?

========Rectangular hollow section as far as I know, such as 1" square tube.

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search

the
net, but hey...)

Andy
SDS brick removing chisel has arrived - woohoo!!)

nightjar

"Pecanfan" wrote in message
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst

and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

I prefer to buy them with holes pre-drilled, but up to about 1/2", I've
simply used a HSS drill in a heavy duty hand-held electric drill. Take it
slowly and lubricate well, preferably with a purpose-made drilling
lubricant, but a 50/50 paraffin / oil mix works quite well. You do need a
BIG tap wrench to hand tap 1/2" holes in them though.

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

The steel fabricators around the corner do it every day, so it must be. I
wouldn't bother to try it myself as it is much easier to buy them cut to
length.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pecanfan wrote:
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a
small hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the
worst and have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Have these done by the supplier.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

pjdesign

"Pecanfan" wrote in message

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Rolled Steel Angle.

Baz

Tony Bryer

In article , Pecanfan wrote:
1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, but I'd rather get someone else to do it

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Pass

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

ITYM Durbar, which is steel plate made for flooring which has
anti-slip pattern rolled on one side.

5. What is 'RHS'?

Depending on the context, rolled hollow section or rectangular hollow
section.

Cicero

"pjdesign" wrote in message

"Pecanfan" wrote in message

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Rolled Steel Angle.

Baz

=============
Could that really be 'steel reinforced anchors'? - i.e. concrete blocks /
foundations reinforced with steel. Just a thought....

Cic.

Ian Stirling

Pecanfan wrote:
1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

How big?

Not sure yet, but say 10mm holes through 8mm RSC.

Standard HSS drill.
Not a blunt one.
It'll do several holes with any electric drill.
If you want to do many holes, the drill should be going under 500RPM,
and you should use oil, or you'll burn out the drillbit.

(spray-on cooking oil is acceptible)

Be careful when close to break-through.
If you are pushing too hard, then the bit can catch, which may shatter
the bit (unlikely, but wear safety glasses) or more likely really
hurt your wrists.

If you want to do many holes, then buy some 5mm drillbits, and use
these to make a pilot hole.
This will also let you locate the hole more accurately.

Pecanfan

I'm just wondering if stock lengths will be cheaper than custom-cut
lengths.
What would you use to cut, say, the above?

What do you have available to you?

At the moment... a junior hacksaw?

Seriously, don't have an angle grinder but was considering buying one - will
be useful for other stuff anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get the stuff
cut to length and pre-drilled relatively cheaply, but if I can get it
significantly cheaper off-the-shelf then I'll just cut / drill it myself.

On a separate note, saw an RSJ nail gun on Grand Designs a while ago - don't
*really* need one BUT... ;-)

Cheers for all the replies!

Andy

pjdesign

"Cicero" wrote in message

"pjdesign" wrote in message

"Pecanfan" wrote in message

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Rolled Steel Angle.

Baz

=============
Could that really be 'steel reinforced anchors'? - i.e. concrete blocks /
foundations reinforced with steel. Just a thought....

Cic.

That would be SRA.
Trust me, it is Rolled Steel Angle.
RSC Rolled Steel Channel
RSJ Rolled Steel Joist
Baz

John Rumm

Pecanfan wrote:

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

I had need to cut through two 200x8mm flitch plates. The first before it
was installed, did that with a 9" angle grinder - easy enough. The
second needed a short section trimmed flush to a surface after it was
installed. I used an Axminster reciprocating saw with a long hacksaw
blade on it. Also easy enough probably took a little longer but gave a
more precise cut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

Pecanfan wrote:

At the moment... a junior hacksaw?

Hmm...

Seriously, don't have an angle grinder but was considering buying one - will
be useful for other stuff anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get the stuff
cut to length and pre-drilled relatively cheaply, but if I can get it
significantly cheaper off-the-shelf then I'll just cut / drill it myself.

Even if you are going to buy an angle grinder, unless the price diff is
huge (which it won't be), go for pre cut/drilled. Cutting an RSJ is not
a good place to start learning to use an angle grinder, and starting
with a 9" is a bad idea in any case.

--
Grunff
Owain

"Tony Bryer"
| 5. What is 'RHS'?
| Depending on the context, rolled hollow section or rectangular
| hollow section.

right hand side?

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

Pecanfan wrote:

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

How big?

Not sure yet, but say 10mm holes through 8mm RSC.

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, but far more sensible to buy them cut to the right length.

I'm just wondering if stock lengths will be cheaper than custom-cut lengths.
What would you use to cut, say, the above?

Oxy acetylene torch.

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

5. What is 'RHS'?

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search

the

net, but hey...)

Bingo!

Aye, cheers... :-)
Found this site anyway, which might be useful for others...
http://www.buildingcatalogue.com.au/.../acronyms.html

Andy

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
Even if you are going to buy an angle grinder, unless the price diff is
huge (which it won't be), go for pre cut/drilled. Cutting an RSJ is not
a good place to start learning to use an angle grinder, and starting
with a 9" is a bad idea in any case.

Absolutely. An angle grinder scares me more than any other power tool - so
I'd not recommend it for someone starting out. And drilling an RSJ isn't
that easy either with a normal drill - you need a much slower speed than
is common.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Bob H

Pecanfan wrote:
Having never worked with steel in my life (apart from when I made a small
hammer in CDT in school) I'm just trying to prepare myself for the worst and
have a few questions:-

1. How do you go about drilling big holes in RSJs?

How big? But mostly with a HSS drill of the size required (HSS= High
Speed Steel)

2. Is it possible to cut RSJs?

Yes, by using either a 9 inch angle grinder with a steel cutting blade,
or a sthil saw with same, or by using oxy-acetlylene cutting equipment

3. What are 'RSAs'? (Reinforced Steel Anchors?)

Rolled Steel Angle (Iron)

4. What is 'DURR BAR'?

Sorry, can't help with that one, but could be steel reinforcing bar???

5. What is 'RHS'?

Rolled Hollow Section

(I could probably have found out 3,4 & 5 by bothering my arse to search the
net, but hey...)

Well, there you go.
Andy
SDS brick removing chisel has arrived - woohoo!!)

--
Bob H
Leeds UK