Mary Hinge

Default Shower Pump Questions

In a bit of a quandary over installing a shower pump, have decided to
go for the Stuart Turner Showermate 1.8bar based on group
recommendations but have a few questions. I did search the group but
each installation is unique ;o)

Note we only have a tiny airing cupboard (Edwardian House) with no
space on the floor for a pump.

1. Pump is rated at a maximum output of 30l/min, can this flow can be
restricted by the mixer valve (eg half open valve = 15l/min), or is
there something on the pump itself? I don't huge amounts of water
going down the drain (on water meter plus small HWC). In our previous
house we have Aqualisa Aquastreams that delivered 13l/min IIRC which
was fine.

2. Hot water cylinder is around 1000 high by 400 wide (approx 120l by
my calculation), this should be just about sufficient right? Not great
I know but airing cupboard is vertically as well as horizontally
challenged ;o)

3. Pump siting options a

a. Shelf above hot water cylinder, not really much room here
either but might just be able to squeeze in it.
b. Bottom of cupboard in adjacent bathroom (different bathroom, ie
not the one with the shower), approx 2m from HWC, 3m from shower.
Assume 22mm to pump and 15mm to shower is advisable?
c. Bottom of cupboard in shower room, this means running pipes
past shower for flow to pump and then back to it. Distance from HWC by
the time you run pipe will be close to the 7m limit, approx 2.5m then
back to shower. Probably getting on for 9m run from cold-water tank in
loft.

Option C is preferred, but how would this stress the pump or affect
flow if run in 22mm to pump and 15mm from pump to shower?

TIA,

Andy
Andy R

"Mary Hinge" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Take a look at the Aqualisa Quartz Off The Wall. I fitted one recently and
it's really simple to fit, works well and pumps at either 'normal' or
'boost' pressure.

Rgds

Andy R

Andy Hall

On 3 Sep 2004 03:40:41 -0700, (Mary Hinge)
wrote:

[...]

From the water flow point of view, option (b) would be best.

If you want to do (c) then run 22mm on both sides of the pump and
reduce down to 15mm when you get close to the shower.

As far as the flow is concerned, if you use a narrower bore shower
hose you will restrict the flow to about 15lpm. The pump won't
mind that. You should get 20-30mins of shower time out of that ,
although it may be shorter if you are filling the roof tank too
slowly.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Middleton

"Mary Hinge" wrote in message
m...
[...]

A friend of mine fitted his shower pump on shelf above hot water tank in
polystrene line box (to keep noise down). Worked fine apart from had to fit
an auto air release valve in hot tank to pump loop, as despite having the
correct cylinder flange fitting continually got air in the loop. I have
suffered from this air in hot loop in both my last an current house as well.

Set Square

Mary Hinge wrote:

In a bit of a quandary over installing a shower pump, have decided to
go for the Stuart Turner Showermate 1.8bar based on group
recommendations but have a few questions. I did search the group but
each installation is unique ;o)

Is the shower, which this pump will feed, installed over a bath? If so, you
could put the pump *under* the bath.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Paul King

"Mary Hinge" wrote in message
m...

quandry snpped
3. Pump siting options a

a. Shelf above hot water cylinder, not really much room here
either but might just be able to squeeze in it.

Option a *won't* work! (assuming that there's no cold water header tank
above it). Because the pump will be above the HW cylinder/tank it can't
"suck" water from the tank - it only "pumps". I've got this problem in my
house. We're "fully pumped" as regards showers and baths, and my pump is
below the H/W tank, but because the shower head of the upstairs shower is
above the water level of the Elson tank on the same landing (no C/W header
above, so no higher "head") we have to turn on the shower and then one of
the (fully pumped) bath taps to "start" the shower!
Downstairs shower - no problem (obviously...)

And we're talking stupid size here! *Both* of the cold and hot tanks are 150
gallons! Whoever installed this for the previous owners must have had a
great deal of fun - or ripped the owners off! It's only a 4-bed semi for
crissake!

Mary Hinge

Thanks for the opinions, will probably go for option C I guess and try
and keep the runs as short as possible.

The shower will not be in a bath so under the bath is out. Could go
for the "on a shelf" option as the cold water tank is in the loft
above but don't fancy having the problem air in the works and fitting
a release valve.

Andy

Shower Pump warwick UK diy 3 August 9th 04 11:56 AM
Pump question (not a shower pump!) T i m UK diy 4 April 10th 04 08:56 AM
Shower Pump start as a result of other taps Gary Holt UK diy 3 September 29th 03 10:39 PM