Jon Nicoll

Default Paper shredder recommendations fos 'soho' environment?

Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

I've experimented with the hand-held ones for a fiver (laughable) and
expect that it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. however any
specifics would be welcome. Also, are there any sources of second-hand
shredders? I'd rather get a tatty good quality one than a shiny cheap
one.

price range? I guess 30 - 100 GBP.

Thanks for your thoughts
Jon N
Colin Wilson

any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?
price range? I guess 30 - 100 GBP.

Box of matches - 10p :-}

Mike

What sort of usage is it going to get ? if it is going to get a lot of use,
expect to pay for something that will take the stick

We use a fellows shredder, straight cut, takes up to 7-8 sheets at a time.
It probably gets used every day, all bills/statements/receipts go through it
eventually, but also I bring home relatively 'clean' but used paper from
work every week and that gets shredded to provided bedding for some small
furry animals - cant do that with cross cut shredding !

Mike
www.mikes-walks.co.uk

Tony Bryer

In article , EricP wrote:
Rexel or Fellowes

If you are going to be doing a lot of shredding, get the largest
waste bin on it, that you can. They fill up in minutes.

I paid serious money for a Fellowes cross-cut shredder - model 105
IIRC. Cross-cut shredders produce a lot less volume of shredded paper
as compared with strip shredders.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:00:21 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , EricP wrote:
Rexel or Fellowes

If you are going to be doing a lot of shredding, get the largest
waste bin on it, that you can. They fill up in minutes.

I paid serious money for a Fellowes cross-cut shredder - model 105
IIRC. Cross-cut shredders produce a lot less volume of shredded paper
as compared with strip shredders.

... and it's a lot harder to stick the bits back together again. With
strip shredders, it's pretty easy to do that.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
mrcheerful

"Jon Nicoll" wrote in message
om...
Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

I've experimented with the hand-held ones for a fiver (laughable) and
expect that it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. however any
specifics would be welcome. Also, are there any sources of second-hand
shredders? I'd rather get a tatty good quality one than a shiny cheap
one.

price range? I guess 30 - 100 GBP.

Thanks for your thoughts
Jon N

Costco are selling a nice one on a bin, about 60 quid I think. Capable of
cutting up CDs as well.
Good thing about Costco is if you don't like it within a month you can take
it back for cash refund, and up to a year if it has a fault.

mrcheerful
mrcheerful

Scott Mills

"Jon Nicoll" wrote in message
om...
Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

I've experimented with the hand-held ones for a fiver (laughable) and
expect that it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. however any
specifics would be welcome. Also, are there any sources of second-hand
shredders? I'd rather get a tatty good quality one than a shiny cheap
one.

Pair of scissors? DIY newsgroup after all...

dave @ stejonda

In message , Jon Nicoll
writes
Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

We're using the Fellowes PS60C-2 and it works fine. It seems to cost
about GBP80 now. As someone else has suggested any good make is likely
to out-perform and out-last a cheaper buy.

It's worth using appropriate oil regularly to keep the mechanism working
well.

I've experimented with the hand-held ones for a fiver (laughable) and
expect that it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. however any
specifics would be welcome. Also, are there any sources of second-hand
shredders? I'd rather get a tatty good quality one than a shiny cheap
one.

Problem with 2nd-hand is that you don't know what (mis-)use it has been
put to before.

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
sid

any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

Shredders are graded s1 - straight cut (usually 6mm wide)
s2 - cross cut (about 4mm x6mm approx)
s3 - the serious stuff that makes
confetti and priced to match

Unless you are in MI5 etc , S2 shredders are ok. Staples have one on offer
for £18 or so.

Just shred envelopes and other non sensitive material along with Swiss bank
account statements and its the dog's ********.

Dave Liquorice

On 1 Sep 2004 06:18:42 -0700, Jon Nicoll wrote:

any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

What security do you want? Cheap ones are generally straight cut,
you'll need to pay more for a crosscut. Straight cut reduces the paper
to strips and if you don't think the strips can hold the lines of
type... Cross cut produces narrow diamonds much less chance of having
a whole CC number on one diamond.

I bought a tiny thing ages ago, takes A4 folded on the narrow edge,
straight cut, clips on the side of a box or bin. It does well enough
for CC slips, statement bits that I don't need to keep etc. Provided
you remember the orientation to cut across the lines of type.

Before going mad with the shreder it might be worth remembering that
the IR require financial documentation to be kept for *at least* 22
months past the end of the Tax Year to which they relate. Sole Traders
and Companies have 5 and 6 years and capital gains/losses may need
much longer periods.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/sabk4.htm

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

raden

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , EricP wrote:
Rexel or Fellowes

If you are going to be doing a lot of shredding, get the largest
waste bin on it, that you can. They fill up in minutes.

I paid serious money for a Fellowes cross-cut shredder - model 105
IIRC. Cross-cut shredders produce a lot less volume of shredded paper
as compared with strip shredders.

Bloody useless as packing material though

(tried shredding the RS catalogues ... once)

--
geoff
raden

In message , Scott Mills
writes

"Jon Nicoll" wrote in message
. com...
Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

I've experimented with the hand-held ones for a fiver (laughable) and
expect that it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'. however any
specifics would be welcome. Also, are there any sources of second-hand
shredders? I'd rather get a tatty good quality one than a shiny cheap
one.

Pair of scissors? DIY newsgroup after all...

Stanley blades surely ...

--
geoff
N. Thornton

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 1 Sep 2004 06:18:42 -0700, Jon Nicoll wrote:

any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

What security do you want?

putting the paper in the same bin as food scrap waste is pretty
effective Or if you have a litter tray...

NT

Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

Buy an incinerator for around £15 - £20 and burn the stuff.

As others have mentioned, the cheaper machines tend to be straight cut
and this very often leaves stuff legible and can be put together (cf.
Iranian takeover of US Embassy in Teheran). Cross cut is much
better but more expensive. I bought on for around £50 a few years
back, but found that the motors heat up and automatically cut out
after around half a dozen to a dozen sheets of A4. You then have to
wait a few minutes (seems like ages) before you can use it again.

Now I simply fill a waste bin with stuff and then burn it. Means I
can chuck all the junk mail, with my name and address listed on it at
least twice, straight in the "to burn" bin.

I burnt a load a credit card receipts a while ago - much more satisfying
than cutting them up )

Ziggy wrote:

Now I simply fill a waste bin with stuff and then burn it. Means I
can chuck all the junk mail, with my name and address listed on it at
least twice, straight in the "to burn" bin.

Since most people's names and addresses are easily obtainable by all
sorts of means I really see no point in shredding junk mail with just
your name and address on it - life's too short to worry about such
things.

Hundreds (if not thousands) of businesses will have your name and
address, it's on the electoral register, you've given it to friends
and relations. If someone want's to "steal an identity" they're much
more likely to use a name and address they can find quickly (at work,
wherever) than they are to go digging around on rubbish dumps for old
junk mail.

--
Chris Green
Owain

"N. Thornton" wrote
| putting the paper in the same bin as food scrap waste is pretty
| effective Or if you have a litter tray...

Compost heap.

Owain

raden

In message , a
[...]

But not as much fun as burning the credit card itself

--
geoff
Andy Hall

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:04:14 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Ziggy
writes
wrote:

Hi all
any recommendations (or anti-recommendations) for makes and/or
models of paper shredders for home/small office use?

Buy an incinerator for around £15 - £20 and burn the stuff.

As others have mentioned, the cheaper machines tend to be straight cut
and this very often leaves stuff legible and can be put together (cf.
Iranian takeover of US Embassy in Teheran).

But does this really matter for the typical home/soho user?

I can't believe someone is going to bothered to root around in my bin to
piece together recipts/bills etc.

Don't you believe it.

A former colleague living in Switzerland had exactly this happen. He
lived close to the parliament in Bern in a district where mainly
business people and politicians resided. In typical tidy fashion,
there was a local ordinance that rubbish should not be put out more
than 4 hours before the appointed collection time. For him this was
1400, but of course he left for work at 0730 each day, so of course
put out the rubbish along with everyone else in the street immediately
before leaving.

One day, the colleague arrived home to find an official notice that he
should attend the local police station because of a complaint - the
subject being Abfall (rubbish).
He duly went there, only to meet a group of his neighbours and a very
weary police sergeant who explained that he, too, was aggrieved
because he had had a complaint from one of the politicians about the
rubbish. In order to identify the culprits, he had had to send out
his men at 0955 (just before the appointed time limit) to check
people's rubbish and look for envelopes etc. to identify who it
belonged to. My colleague was a definite shredaholic and everything
including junk mail went through his machine.

The police showed him a piece of paper with pieces of one of his
shredded envelopes stuck to it, reformed as his name and address..

If it can happen in Bern it can happen in Leeds.

His area of Bern was also described as "soho", but that was for a
different reason.

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

.... not really an argument pointing towards the great likelihood of
identity theft though is it! :-)

--
Chris Green

Pete C wrote:
It might be worth seeing if there is a local company that does secure
document disposal, if they charge a few quid for an archive box worth
it might be easier to let them deal with it.

Anyway that's what I plan to do with my Ltd. Co. documents when I've
kept them long enough.

Why? What 'identity' is there to steal in a company name and address?

--
Chris Green
Andy Hall

On 3 Sep 2004 08:04:26 GMT, wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

True - however sometimes people will go to great lengths......