raden

In message , RichardS
writes
"chris French" wrote in message
In message , wanderer
writes
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:34:42 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Does ayone still use it for lead work?

If so, what type and where do you acquire it?

If you live anywhere near Great Yarmuff, you could try asking at any of
the chip salons in the market place. They all smell remarkably as though
they use tallow to cook the chips. Revolting smell at times........

It's the 'Yorkshire' smell :-)

Where most chip shops still use Lard for cooking chips. and yes it's a
horrible smell....... :-)

But they do taste just so much better :-)

It's one of the things I really miss, living now in the SE.

Use yer own chip pan

I used to have one which had beautiful fat in it. I put the fat from
frying everything from bacon to steaks in it, Beautiful tasty chips I
got from it.

It wasn't geographic location which caused the problem, it was marital
status

--
geoff
raden

In message , sPoNiX
writes

To make your own tallow, get some suet fat from the butcher. This is
the heavy thick white fat from inside the back bone of a bovine
carcass. It should be free. You then cut it up a bit to break down the
membranes, and melt it slowly in a large saucepan. A clear fat will
emerge, which can be strained to remove the fibres. You can refine the
fat, by adding a little water, and rendering it. Simply heat for a
while, then allow to cool. The mixture will separate into three
layers. The best tallow on the top, the stock in the middle, and the
solids at the bottom. Try it! - but don't blame me for the
smell......."

Miners used to get "free" tallow candles for when they worked down the
mine. They were mixed with copper chloride (?) to poison them so that
the miners didn't eat them

I just knew you wanted to know that

--
geoff
Peter Parry

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:47:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I doubt it. I really don't think he knows what he's taking on, he's not used
to working with lead and he doesn't understand the chemistry of lead. He's
read a book ...

A Leadburner I once knew said it was a simple craft which required no
more than a few days study and 20 years practice.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:48:14 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

A Leadburner I once knew said it was a simple craft which required no
more than a few days study and 20 years practice.

That's because you can do it fine after a few days of study, but then
the lead gets to you and you lose it....

Andy Hall

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:58:48 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Owain
writes
"FrancisJK" wrote
| What was Tony Blair doing with tallow?!
| That's very unkind to Prescott.
| Rocky Prescott knows where you live! And the u-values of your house!

And he'll soon know how many electric sockets you have in your kitchen.

And dictate the size of your throne ...

http://www.greatjohn.com/

To be used when jag+=2 acquires the title of Sir Twyford Adamant or
Lord Vitreous of China........

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Tony Williams

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Tony Williams" wrote
For the hautest cuisine try pineapple slices, deep
fried in thick crispy batter.

Blechhhhh ........

Sweet and savoury..... bite through that lovely crunchy
savoury batter and then the soft sweetness of the pineapple.
Only for the discerning palate, of course.

--
Tony Williams.
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:59:48 +0100, Tony Williams
wrote:

Sweet and savoury..... bite through that lovely crunchy
savoury batter and then the soft sweetness of the pineapple.
Only for the discerning palate, of course.

Then wash it down with a bottle of Buckie....
Andy Hall

wrote:

Sweet and savoury..... bite through that lovely crunchy
savoury batter and then the soft sweetness of the pineapple.
Only for the discerning palate, of course.

Then wash it down with a bottle of Buckie....

OK, I'll bite.

What's Buckie?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I doubt it. I really don't think he knows what he's taking on, he's not

used
to working with lead and he doesn't understand the chemistry of lead.

He's
read a book ...

A Leadburner I once knew said it was a simple craft which required no
more than a few days study and 20 years practice.

LOL!

Spouse reminded me that a very skilled leadburner we know uses no flux - or
tallow. He's been doing it for more than twenty years though ...

Mary

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:a64618c285a7688567a7791c03861ff8.45219@mygat e.mailgate.org...
Tallow is a higher melting point fat than lard or grease, produced from
any animal. It can also come from some vegetables eg cocao butter.

Tallow is the generic name for animal fat.

I'm not fat, just tallow

Sounds more just a little plumpish

I'll have to remember that

I'm none of those things, just cuddly :-)

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Tony Williams" wrote
For the hautest cuisine try pineapple slices, deep
fried in thick crispy batter.

Blechhhhh ........

Sweet and savoury..... bite through that lovely crunchy
savoury batter and then the soft sweetness of the pineapple.
Only for the discerning palate, of course.

....... excuse me ....

--
Tony Williams.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:13:43 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

What's Buckie?

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/

Mary Fisher

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:1d6f697de3b885eb52532ee5a36b12f1.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net

Get WHAT for human consumption? Beef fat? Oh yes you can.

I'd heard that beef dripping was another casualty of BSE.

It was. At least for export - I'm not sure about 'local' consumption. But no
longer.

So..

Is your friend

He's not a friend ...

replacing the valley between two roofs of a church or
something?

As I said elsewhere - I thought - it's a very large lead tray/dish/trough
with shallow sides. It has quite a large crack for a few inches across the
middle.

He'd be as well to lay new lead if so. Old lead stretches
with heat but does not return like other metals, it is too near the
liquid stage so that it flows out and stays out.

I know. But I'm not sure that he does.

I don't think it has stretched, I think it's cracked though age. I suspect
it needs patching - and I think that's what he intends doing.

But that's all irrelevant, I only asked if anyone still used and if you
could still get plumbers' tallow ... :-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

And it doesn't smell revolting

A matter of opinion.....

- or shouldn't. If it does the fat has gone
rancid.

Ok, lets say it has a distinctive aroma :-) Which I find pretty
horrible.

I've just remembered that you're a veggie, so you're forgiven :-)

But most people think that tallow candles smell revolting whereas they only
smell of roasting meat.

Mary
--
Chris French, Leeds

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

I made some for a Lead mine in Northumberland - or Durham - can't remember
which. They tell visitors that miners used them and lives had been saved
because they HAD eaten them when trapped underground by a fall ...

It was before my time so I have no experience, but that's what they said.

Incidentally, Prices Candles do (or did until a few years ago) make tallow
candles for Arctic and Antarctic expeditions and HM Forces in cold climes.
They were exempt from VAT because they were classified as food ...

Mary

--
geoff

chris French

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

And it doesn't smell revolting

A matter of opinion.....

- or shouldn't. If it does the fat has gone
rancid.

Ok, lets say it has a distinctive aroma :-) Which I find pretty
horrible.

I've just remembered that you're a veggie, so you're forgiven :-)

But most people think that tallow candles smell revolting whereas they only
smell of roasting meat.

I don't mind the smell of roasting meat, I don't like he Yorkshire
chippy smell though
--
Chris French, Leeds

Peter Parry

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:13:43 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

What's Buckie?

Obviously sheltered upbringing. Buckfast Tonic Wine a wine produced
at Buckfast Abbey in Buckfastleigh, Devon. Alcohol 15% Vol, need
one say more?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| Andy Dingley wrote:
| Then wash it down with a bottle of Buckie....
| OK, I'll bite.
| What's Buckie?

Buckfast Tonic Wine, m'lud.

The recipe for the Tonic wine is attributed to the original French monks who
settled at the Abbey in the 1880's. Base wines from Spain, known as
mistellas, were imported and to these were added the tonic ingredients
according to the old recipe.
http://www.buckfast.org.uk/TONIC.HTM

Buckfast Valley is a synonym for Lower Clyde valley, Lanarkshire
http://www.glesga.ndo.co.uk/glesgaglossary.htm

Lazy Guide to Net Cultu Inter-neds:
Evil twisted thugs are using the internet to brag about their violent
sprees. And the police are POWERLESS to stop them. For the teenage tearaways
of Glasgow's notorious street gangs have used hi-tech trickery to hide their
identities. They BOAST about their drug-fuelled violence. Show SICK pictures
of their battlegrounds. And openly FLAUNT weapons, bottles of Buckfast and
faces full of plukes.
Tracked down by this reporter, one young thug confessed: "No, I'm sorry. I
think you must have confused me with someone else. Can I interest you in a
copy of the Watchtower?" Sobbed the guilty hooligan: "Mmm, that website
looks like a wind-up to me."
A top Tory politician has called for them all to be birched, then hanged,
then birched some more. Then hanged, birched, birched, locked up and birched
some more. A spokesman for the SSP said that these misunderstood
practitioners of working class culture should be celebrated.
Finally, with very few exceptions, the pictures on the sites feature one of
three key elements: the digitus impudicus, Buckfast and the Old Firm.
What is about cameras that every time one is produced it makes these
individuals extend their middle fingers and wave bottles of Buckfast in the
air
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1384252003

They appear to spend their time at these hallowed locations smoking spliffs,
drinking large quantities of bucky, pulling silly poses robbed from Gangsta
Rap album covers, drawing little " Menchies " on walls and indulging in a
spot of violence against neighbouring gangs.
Upon entering the site, the viewer is greeted by a suprisingly sophisticated
but rather irritating flash animation. This bunch of Neds seem to like
making decorative circles of buckfast bottles dubbed 'BUCKFAST HENGE' and
then posing in them. Others are pictured with various weapons including a
baseball bat and a samuari sword.
This bunch of lads are rather lovable, they have even taken the time to
compose an ode to Buckfast, they do however claim to be the 'hardest' in
Fife so be warned!.
You are my Tonic my Tonic Wine, You make me happy of Friday nights and
Saturdays. We love to drink the Tonic wine ,so please don't take ma Bucky
away.
http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/reviews/reviews.html

MD 20/20! This is common neddish underage friday night juice. This drink
comes right up there with buckfast in the ned stakes. It's likely that this
young ned was "pure buckled" and trying to "fire in" to the three nedettes
behind him. Did he get lucky? E-mail me, young ned, and I will let people
know. This is a good example of what a "wee cheeky ned" should look like.
The ned in the big berghaus jaiket on the right is showing signs of being a
non ned, as he has removed the label from the groups bottle of Buckfast,
perhaps showing some inner embarrassment of his ned status. Buckfast is
designed to damage the neds brains early enough to get them hooked into the
ned sector of society for the rest of their childhood and probably a bit of
their adulthood, and in extreme cases, all of their adulthood. It has been
brewed by Devon Monks for many years now using the finest grapes du
violence.
http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/gallery/gallery.html

Perhaps you should also steer clear of Burberry brand clothing, especially
in Leicester.
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/backb...287935,00.html

Owain

Andy Hall

wrote:

OK, I'll bite.

What's Buckie?

Obviously sheltered upbringing.

Definitely.

Buckfast Tonic Wine a wine produced
at Buckfast Abbey in Buckfastleigh, Devon. Alcohol 15% Vol, need
one say more?

Now I see..... :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tony Williams

"Tony Williams" wrote

Sorry, it was meant to be a one of them ------

--
Tony Williams.
Mary Fisher

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

"Tony Williams" wrote
Only for the discerning palate, of course.

....... excuse me ....

Sorry, it was meant to be a one of them ------

:-)

--