Tim S

Default Safety mirror 6ft x 18in - how much?

Bah.

Just chipped the bottom of a mirror faced wardrobe door (with a big
heavy carpet shampooer) with the approx above dimensions.

It's caused a 4in crack - but seems stable (I've thumped it and put my
knee into it hard and it's not obviously going to fall off just yet). But
it's a rented house + I have a baby so I need to fix it in a week or two.

Does anyone have any off the cuff rough guesses as to how much a piece of
safety mirror that big will cost? Seems to be a tough (but not that tough!)
thinnish (maybe 3/16 in) mirror bonded to a MDF/chipboard(?) door. I don't
suppose having the glazier fit it will be that much more if I take the
door to him.

In the meantime I'll put some sticky-back plastic over the crack and chip
to make it safe.

Ta muchly

Timbo

PS

Glazier recommendations welcome - in the Tonbridge area, or Tunbridge
Wells (or even Paddock Wood).

--
Tim Southerwood
Website: http://www.dionic.net/

Mike James

"Tim S" wrote in message
news : Bah.
:
[...]
: --
: Tim Southerwood
: Website: http://www.dionic.net/

Hi Timbo.
If it's of any use to you, I have just been to a local glass merchant
(fairly large one) and priced up a 1000mm X 700mm bevelled edge at about
£56.00. This they will cut from a large mirror sheet and they will bevel &
drill for fixings.
Hope this gives you a rough Idea.
Regards.
Mike.

Tim S

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:32:18 +0000, Mike James wrote:
Hi Timbo.
If it's of any use to you, I have just been to a local glass merchant
(fairly large one) and priced up a 1000mm X 700mm bevelled edge at about
£56.00. This they will cut from a large mirror sheet and they will bevel
& drill for fixings.
Hope this gives you a rough Idea.
Regards.
Mike.

Hey - that's not too bad. I was imagining £100

Ok feel better now - thanks :-)

Of course, it would now have been cheaper to pay someone to clean the
carpets. You could start a whole thread on "I decided to save a fortune by
DIM - but I had a few "difficulties" and now it cost 2x what a pro would
have charged. He!

Cheers

Timbo
N. Thornton

Tim S wrote in message .. .

Of course, it would now have been cheaper to pay someone to clean the
carpets. You could start a whole thread on "I decided to save a fortune by
DIM - but I had a few "difficulties" and now it cost 2x what a pro would
have charged. He!

Think we've all done it some time, but with many successes and very
occasional failures youre still well ahead. Especially compared to all
the ballsups and mishaps that happen when you pay a pro.

Regards, NT
N. Thornton

BTW what is a safety mirror? Does it give you a preprogrammed
reflection in order to avoid a bad reaction on bad days?

Tim S

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:56:55 -0700, N. Thornton wrote:

BTW what is a safety mirror? Does it give you a preprogrammed reflection
in order to avoid a bad reaction on bad days?

It has an auto dim mode so that when my incredibly well toned bod is in
front of it, the missus doesn't go blind!

I wish...

I meant safety as in doesn't explode into a billion pieces when the sprog
pokes it (and she will). But you knew that didn't you ;-
Tim S

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:55:49 -0700, N. Thornton wrote:

Think we've all done it some time, but with many successes and very
occasional failures youre still well ahead. Especially compared to all the
ballsups and mishaps that happen when you pay a pro.

I'm mostly still winning - just annoying that that £60-odd + fitting +
time would have got me a nice RAM upgrade for my server :-(

Still - I think I cleaned my carpets better than a pro (better than the
Landlord's pro anyway).

Cheers

Timbo
Tim

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:32:20 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Bah.

Just chipped the bottom of a mirror faced wardrobe door (with a big
heavy carpet shampooer) with the approx above dimensions.

Correction for the benfit of folks finding this on google...
There is such a thing as safety glass mirrors - but they're
not used for doors like this - too heavy apparantly.

I found a local glazier's workshop in Tonbridge and they said they could
only use 4mm glass for a full-mirrored wardrobe door due to weight.

The actual dimensions of the glass when I measured it properly were
2000x350 mm which they quoted at £41 + £10 to bond to door (inc removing
old glass).

Not bad.

Can't say I like the concept though - 4mm mirrored glass with kids around.
But I have to match what's there in this case.

Cheers

Timbo
Mike James

"Tim" wrote in message
news : On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:32:20 +0100, Tim S wrote:
:
: Bah.
:
[...]

That's a good price Tim, especially for 4mm, but don't worry too much about
the thickness, it's the norm for that size mirror (a health & safety rule I
think) and a lot harder to break.
Hope all goes well.
Regards.
Mike.

Owain

"Mike James" wrote
| : Can't say I like the concept though - 4mm mirrored glass with kids
| : around. But I have to match what's there in this case.
| That's a good price Tim, especially for 4mm, but don't worry too
| much about the thickness, it's the norm for that size mirror (a health
| & safety rule I think) and a lot harder to break.

If it's like my mirrored wardrobe door, the mirror is stuck on all over,
rather than in a beaded frame. I would think that would help to hold the
pieces together if someone runs into it (or at least prevent someone running
*through* it).

Owain