Pepper

Default New Boiler Installation and Local Council?

Just been reading this in another group.
"Change your boiler and fail to tell the local authority you get a fine.
Something Prescott slipped through. Notified in the local authority propaganda
magazine they post through every door once a month. If you get it done by a
registered installer they send a certificate to the council and give you a copy.
Do it yourself and you have to pay for an inspection. Fail to notify them and
they can fine you if they find out. I think it was in the same package as the
windows thing."

We are in the process of getting a new boiler and this has not been mentioned by
the installer. He is OFTEC registered. We checked.
Can anyone provide anymore information as we certainly don't want to end up with
a fine.
TIA
Pepper

Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:28:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
"Pepper" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

We are in the process of getting a new boiler and this has not been mentioned by
the installer. He is OFTEC registered. We checked.

The relevant regulations are
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...2/20020440.htm. Don't
bother reading through it all, the bit you're interested in is
Schedule 2A about halfway through. If someone listed in the second
column is doing the type of work in the first, then a Building
Regulations application is not required (apart from the Institute of
Plumbing one, because no-one took it up).

Can anyone provide anymore information as we certainly don't want to end up with
a fine.

The chances of that are, IME, virtually zero. The worst that will
happen is that when you come to sell your house, a diligent surveyor
may pick up that the boiler was replaced after these regulations came
into force and your purchaser's solicitor will ask you for the
relevant paperwork.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
John Armstrong

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:28:29 +0100, Pepper wrote:

Just been reading this in another group.
"Change your boiler and fail to tell the local authority you get a fine.
Something Prescott slipped through. Notified in the local authority propaganda
magazine they post through every door once a month. If you get it done by a
registered installer they send a certificate to the council and give you a copy.
Do it yourself and you have to pay for an inspection. Fail to notify them and
they can fine you if they find out. I think it was in the same package as the
windows thing."

We are in the process of getting a new boiler and this has not been mentioned by
the installer. He is OFTEC registered. We checked.
Can anyone provide anymore information as we certainly don't want to end up with
a fine.
TIA
Pepper

Yes, new or replacement heting installations now come under the building
regulations.
OFTEC installers can self certify oil fired boiler installation. You should
be given a certificate to show that the installation complies with the
regs.
Pepper

"John Armstrong" wrote in message

Yes, new or replacement heting installations now come under the building
regulations.
OFTEC installers can self certify oil fired boiler installation. You should
be given a certificate to show that the installation complies with the
regs.

Thanks to Hugo and John. I shall make sure we get the relevant certificates.
Pepper