Shabs

Default Electric supply in garden sheds

I am currently in the process of building 2 small sheds in the garden.
I would like these to have an electric supply, 1 with a switch for a
lightbulb, and the other for both a lightbulb switch and an electrical
socket.

How would i go about getting a supply to these sheds from the house
permanently and not having to use an extension lead?
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:18:00 -0700, Shabs wrote:

I am currently in the process of building 2 small sheds in the garden.
I would like these to have an electric supply, 1 with a switch for a
lightbulb, and the other for both a lightbulb switch and an electrical
socket.

How would i go about getting a supply to these sheds from the house
permanently and not having to use an extension lead?

There have been numerous threads on this in here over the past 12 months.
Try Google, its all there.

Dave

tim.hinchliffe

I'm also messing around in my shed, and that's the way mine is set up, ie.
2-way garage unit, 16A and 6A. From there, 1.5 to a junction box, then
straight into a fluorescent. In other words, I'm using the fuse as a light
switch, which is plain silly. To fit a switch, do I have to come off the
junction box, or is it permissible to just interrupt the feed and run the
light through the switch ?

Frank Erskine

In article , Shabs
writes
I am currently in the process of building 2 small sheds in the garden.
I would like these to have an electric supply, 1 with a switch for a
lightbulb, and the other for both a lightbulb switch and an electrical
socket.

How would i go about getting a supply to these sheds from the house
permanently and not having to use an extension lead?

If it's of any interest the way I feed my single shed is as follows.

From the CU near the front of the house I internally ran a 2.5mm T+E
from a 16A MCB to a porch at the back where I fitted a metal-clad switch
(just because I had it - it really only acts as a junction box, but I
suppose it would act as an isolator in an emergency). From there I have
an SWA feed directly buried under a crazy-paving path to the shed a few
feet away, where I have a a 2-way switch-fuse (a micro consumer-unit!)
with 5 and 15A fuses. The 5A feeds a 65W fluourescent luminaire and an
outside 60W globe-type fitting via an outside switch. The 15A feeds a
twin 13A socket and an external single splashproof socket (for
lawnmower/strimmer/shredder) for which I have an RCD but have yet to get
a round tuit to fit it.

The twin 13A socket is used variously for a metal lathe, an arc welder,
an angle grinder, a pond pump & so on (but not all at the same time!).

Oh - the 5A circuit also feeds a 25V transformer for an 8W (or so) home-
molished lamp to illuminate the step-up from the path to the grassy bit.

--
Frank Erskine
Lurch

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:16:14 GMT, "tim.hinchliffe"
strung together this:

To fit a switch, do I have to come off the
junction box, or is it permissible to just interrupt the feed and run the
light through the switch ?

Either or, it's up to you.
--

SJW