Tony Bryer

Default Off peak electricity

In article , John Rouse
wrote:
Ah, but if you're not CORGI registered you're not allowed to
do it.

I suppose bypassing a meter would by definition be gas work for
gain g

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Michael McNeil

"Wanderer" wrote in message

(*) Though they normally they claw that back by charging you more for
the first X units each quarter. So it's just marketing puff, no real
saving to the consumer.

Oh, there is a real saving to the customer if he or she has a whacking
great load that can be restricted to the cheap period. I have an 18kw
pool heater and running that at just under 3p per unit is *much* cheaper
than at 8 or 9p per unit!

I have used my storage heaters for the first time since moving in here a
few years back. I just have the one small one in the tiny hall on. It
warms up about 5 or so am. Then it is radiating all the heat out when I
am at work and has substantially cooled down by the time I get home. I
wouldn't consider that economic. I wouldn't use it if I had a choice.

I don't really need the effing things on until about 9 or 10 pm and that
is near enough bedtime on a working day. As far as I am concerned they
are just ugly odd looking useless articles that have to be lived around.
Damned council!

T i m

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:48:41 +0000 (UTC), "Michael McNeil"
wrote:

I have used my storage heaters for the first time since moving in here a
few years back. I just have the one small one in the tiny hall on. It
warms up about 5 or so am. Then it is radiating all the heat out when I
am at work and has substantially cooled down by the time I get home. I
wouldn't consider that economic. I wouldn't use it if I had a choice.

I don't really need the effing things on until about 9 or 10 pm and that
is near enough bedtime on a working day. As far as I am concerned they
are just ugly odd looking useless articles that have to be lived around.
Damned council!

The one I have in our main bedroom seems to do it's job pretty well?
It's one of the 'automatic' (we leave it on all year round),
intelligent (it preempts how long it can wait into the E7 period
before turning on and still gaining enough 'charge'), thermostatic (so
won't let all the heat out at one go) , silent and fairly slimline ;-)

I believe the 'key' with these things is that they are big enough for
the space you are trying to heat. "You say you have a small one in the
tiny hall". Halls tend to be fairly cold places, often with an outside
wall and lots of openings to the other rooms, the front door and
upstairs to the landing?

My daughters bedroom is in the rear addition of our 1897 , solid 9"
brick walled house and faces North. A 'smaller' version of what keeps
out South facing and bigger bedroom warm, couldn't cope in the Winter
in her room so I replaced it with a smaller balanced flue gas heater
(Baxi Brazillia (?)). Now it's cozy now on 2 of the 3 settings on even
the worst days?

There are days where the rad in our bedroom get's 'caught out' ,, like
a warm night followed by a cold day but that's not that often.

Horses for courses etc.

All the best ..

T i m
Wanderer

"Wanderer" wrote in message

(*) Though they normally they claw that back by charging you more for
the first X units each quarter. So it's just marketing puff, no real
saving to the consumer.

Oh, there is a real saving to the customer if he or she has a whacking
great load that can be restricted to the cheap period. I have an 18kw
pool heater and running that at just under 3p per unit is *much* cheaper
than at 8 or 9p per unit!

I have used my storage heaters for the first time since moving in here a
few years back. I just have the one small one in the tiny hall on. It
warms up about 5 or so am. Then it is radiating all the heat out when I
am at work and has substantially cooled down by the time I get home. I
wouldn't consider that economic. I wouldn't use it if I had a choice.

Could be fairly antiquated storage rads. The older ones needed an
afternoon boost to be effective. Those tariffs were discontinued many
years ago. When a property has a change of tenancy, only current tariffs
are available to the new tenant.

I don't really need the effing things on until about 9 or 10 pm and that
is near enough bedtime on a working day. As far as I am concerned they
are just ugly odd looking useless articles that have to be lived around.
Damned council!

So ask the council if they are modern storage rads. My daughter had them
in her place, kept it nice and warm.
PoP

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:00:16 +0000, John Rouse
wrote:

I can remember in a certain place I lived they knew from the substation
which two streets were consuming twice as much as they were paying for.

I did some work for a water company a few years back. I recall them
telling me that they get 20% plus wastage from leaks and natural
environmental situations.

I suppose there would be a similar problem with the waste side of
things. Can't imagine anyone stealing it though - they'd have to be
taking the p!ss!

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....