Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ctek clone battery charger button replacement?

I was talking to a mate tonight and he mentioned he had an older Aldi
/ Ctek clone type charger where the button had stopped working (so he
couldn't even put in into 12V mode). ;-(

Is it very likely it's just a small pushbutton SM switch (I seem to
remember reading here people had replaced said on theirs ... Dave P?)
and are they typically the same thing (size / spec) across most
models?

eg, If I get one (10) on order, what should it be or should I wait
till I get it and order from there?

I have a fair few bits of old kit that has the little square momentary
switches that the switches would be unused (or never carried any real
current) that I could probably desolder if it wasn't that critical?

I'm assuming a single pole, push to make / momentary?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
I was talking to a mate tonight and he mentioned he had an older Aldi
/ Ctek clone type charger where the button had stopped working (so he
couldn't even put in into 12V mode). ;-(

Is it very likely it's just a small pushbutton SM switch (I seem to
remember reading here people had replaced said on theirs ... Dave P?)
and are they typically the same thing (size / spec) across most
models?

eg, If I get one (10) on order, what should it be or should I wait
till I get it and order from there?

I have a fair few bits of old kit that has the little square momentary
switches that the switches would be unused (or never carried any real
current) that I could probably desolder if it wasn't that critical?

I'm assuming a single pole, push to make / momentary?

Cheers, T i m

This is what I bought. Worked perfectly since. (6x6mm) That is, 6mm square,
6 mm length.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261722185591

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
T i m wrote:
[...]

Oops. Forget the 6mm length. Just check what the old one is. My order
doesnt actually list the length that I bought.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
T i m wrote:
[...]

There doesn't appear to be a 6mm option?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul 2020 05:58:18 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

T i m wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that.

So was your original switch through hole?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul 2020 07:01:46 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261722185591

Oops. Forget the 6mm length. Just check what the old one is.

So I would have to wait to get the charger in my hands before
ordering.

My order
doesn’t actually list the length that I bought.

Yeah, that is frustrating but I can normally find reference to it
somewhere, either in the buying history or confirmation emails.

I guess if it's just rubber, you could get the longer one and trim to
size?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
T i m wrote:
[...]

See my other post. I was mistaken about the length. Its not listed in my
order email.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[...]

Yes (if youre referring to its PCB fixing). Easy to replace.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul 2020 09:18:42 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261722185591

Thanks for that.

So was your original switch through hole?

Yes (if you’re referring to its PCB fixing).

Yes, I was, as I saw a repair video that looked like it had a surface
mounted switch.

Easy to replace.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered
desoldering station: ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...lug/dp/SD01384

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or
braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and
something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not
working and fixed it). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On 8 Jul 2020 09:18:42 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

snip

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261722185591

Thanks for that.

So was your original switch through hole?

Yes (if youÂ’re referring to its PCB fixing).

Yes, I was, as I saw a repair video that looked like it had a surface
mounted switch.

Easy to replace.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered
desoldering station: ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...lug/dp/SD01384

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or
braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and
something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not
working and fixed it). ;-)

I used braid dipped in flux. That seems to improve its performance. Agree
about suckers. Never had much joy with them.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I was talking to a mate tonight and he mentioned he had an older Aldi
/ Ctek clone type charger where the button had stopped working (so he
couldn't even put in into 12V mode). ;-(

Is it very likely it's just a small pushbutton SM switch (I seem to
remember reading here people had replaced said on theirs ... Dave P?)
and are they typically the same thing (size / spec) across most
models?

eg, If I get one (10) on order, what should it be or should I wait
till I get it and order from there?

I have a fair few bits of old kit that has the little square momentary
switches that the switches would be unused (or never carried any real
current) that I could probably desolder if it wasn't that critical?

I'm assuming a single pole, push to make / momentary?

Cheers, T i m

I found a selection box of tactile switches on Ebay and bought a couple of
them. They had a suitable one for the Lidl charger. Think I had to trim
the push button down a bit - it's plastic so easy to cut.

They're all 4 contact. Didn't check to see what it actually was, as it
worked. ;-)

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Easy to replace.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered
desoldering station: ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...lug/dp/SD01384

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or
braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and
something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not
working and fixed it). ;-)

Generally with a component you know is scrap, it can make sense to snip it
off using decent sharp cutters. Then remove the leg remains one by one.
For through hole, obviously.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 14:06:59 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Easy to replace.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered
desoldering station: ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...lug/dp/SD01384

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or
braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and
something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not
working and fixed it). ;-)

Generally with a component you know is scrap, it can make sense to snip it
off using decent sharp cutters. Then remove the leg remains one by one.
For through hole, obviously.

Not quite so easy with through hole radial electrolytics and other
components that sit over their pins. :-)

Or big multi pin through hole devices like laptop power sockets.

Whist you can (and I have) used heavier side cutters to muller up the
plastic part to be able to get to the pins individually, it can
sometimes be much easier to use the right tool, suck the solder out
from round each pin easily and watch the thing fall out. ;-)

Cheers, T i m