Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Ctek clone battery charger button replacement?

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 14:06:59 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Easy to replace.

Cool, nothing more rewarding than an excuse to use the powered
desoldering station: ;-)

https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d00...lug/dp/SD01384

OK, for many many years I used the mechanical sucker type and / or
braid but the mechanical pump is much more gentle on the PCB and
something that I wish I'd got sooner (although I got mine s/h / not
working and fixed it). ;-)

Generally with a component you know is scrap, it can make sense to snip it
off using decent sharp cutters. Then remove the leg remains one by one.
For through hole, obviously.

Not quite so easy with through hole radial electrolytics and other
components that sit over their pins. :-)

Or big multi pin through hole devices like laptop power sockets.

Whist you can (and I have) used heavier side cutters to muller up the
plastic part to be able to get to the pins individually, it can
sometimes be much easier to use the right tool, suck the solder out
from round each pin easily and watch the thing fall out. ;-)

Cheers, T i m