Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT This time tomorrow I will have been to the pub

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 14:47:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Never quite understood the idea of gift cards. Which you rather obviously
pay for. Why not just reduce the headline price?

Because some muppets are willing to pay the headline price without getting the gift card. And the business can stop giving out gift cards, without "increasing" their prices.

Unless it is a gift at way less than you could buy it for.

It's a cash value, for me.

I calculate (actually Moneysavingexpert does it for me) the equivalent monthly cost over the contract term taking the gift into account.

That doesn't take into account the approx 40p interest from being able to leave an equivalent £50 of my money on deposit at 1.16% and not having to use it now for shopping.

Owain