DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT This time tomorrow I will have been to the pub (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/651575-re-ot-time-tomorrow-i-will-have-been-pub.html)

Dave Plowman (News) July 7th 20 02:45 PM

OT This time tomorrow I will have been to the pub

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
(Gift card from Plusnet for signing up.)

Gift cards now? They used to reimburse the sign - up tempter straight
to the back to your bank account.

Never quite understood the idea of gift cards. Which you rather obviously
pay for. Why not just reduce the headline price?

Unless it is a gift at way less than you could buy it for.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

[email protected] July 7th 20 03:03 PM

On Tuesday, 7 July 2020 14:47:29 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Never quite understood the idea of gift cards. Which you rather obviously
pay for. Why not just reduce the headline price?

Because some muppets are willing to pay the headline price without getting the gift card. And the business can stop giving out gift cards, without "increasing" their prices.

Unless it is a gift at way less than you could buy it for.

It's a cash value, for me.

I calculate (actually Moneysavingexpert does it for me) the equivalent monthly cost over the contract term taking the gift into account.

That doesn't take into account the approx 40p interest from being able to leave an equivalent £50 of my money on deposit at 1.16% and not having to use it now for shopping.

Owain

alan_m July 7th 20 03:27 PM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
(Gift card from Plusnet for signing up.)

Gift cards now? They used to reimburse the sign - up tempter straight
to the back to your bank account.

Never quite understood the idea of gift cards. Which you rather obviously
pay for. Why not just reduce the headline price?

They are never for the benefit of the customer. It's up-front cash flow
for a company.

Unless it is a gift at way less than you could buy it for.

For a company returning something of value it's better to buy a £75 gift
card for £50 and give that to a customer with a headline reward of £75.
Often these gift cards are for shops that charge over the top prices in
the first place so the £75 is only really worth £50, or less.