Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ladders

I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

I have a 52cm gap between my conservatory and next door's brick one and
I'd like to look at the gutters up there. If all new ladders have these
things what is the official way of doing a job like this with a new
ladder ? I'd rather not buy a used one.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:23, Jon Schneider wrote:
I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

Can you provide a link to the type of ladder you are considering buying?
Most ladders I've seen don't have any stabilisers but they may have the
option to have them fitted - but that doesn't mean that you have to fit
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Standard triple extension 5m house-roof-reaching models.

Lyte say there are no feet otherwise.

Youngman it's clear in the picture you'd simply put weight on the
aluminium tube ends without the stabiliser.

I think the problem is a new standard which is unhelpful and forces me
to do something slightly bad.

Jon

On 07/07/2020 11:44, alan_m wrote:
On 07/07/2020 11:23, Jon Schneider wrote:
I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't
be removed once fitted.

Can you provide a link to the type of ladder you are considering buying?
Most ladders I've seen don't have any stabilisers but they may have the
option to have them fitted - but that doesn't mean that you have to fit
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Schneider wrote:

I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

https://www.youngmanaccess.com/news-releases/article/2020/06/26/wernerco-dispels-myths-around-en131
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Schneider Wrote in message:
I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

I have a 52cm gap between my conservatory and next door's brick one and
I'd like to look at the gutters up there. If all new ladders have these
things what is the official way of doing a job like this with a new
ladder ? I'd rather not buy a used one.

Jon

For a conservatory? Step ladder?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking at the Youngman ladders only the aluminium extension ladders have the stabilisers and they all look secured by a through bolt, which makes sense if the stabiliser is damaged and you could not remove it the whole ladder is F**ked. They also sell replacement overboot feet which suggests you can temporarily remove the stabilisers and still have a non-slip end at the foot of the ladder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For a conservatory? Step ladder?

Gutters above the gap between my conservatory and my neighbour's
brick-built one. It's 52cm wide.

Now I could possibly go nearby by fully opening one of its windows but
that wasn't what I set out to do.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:23, Jon Schneider wrote:

I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

You mean the extra wide bar they fit on the bottom where the feet used
to be?

As in the photo:

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers...n-Ladders.html

I have a 52cm gap between my conservatory and next door's brick one and
I'd like to look at the gutters up there. If all new ladders have these
things what is the official way of doing a job like this with a new
ladder ? I'd rather not buy a used one.

Ah, yup see what you mean - you want to lean the ladder against the
house wall, but have a conservatory either side of you and they are only
a bit more than a ladder's width apart.

You may find you can buy a set of replacement foot pads along with the
ladder, and fit those instead of the bar. e.g:

https://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers...ment-Foot.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

On 07/07/2020 11:23, Jon Schneider wrote:

I have a 52cm gap between my conservatory and next door's brick one and
I'd like to look at the gutters up there. If all new ladders have these
things what is the official way of doing a job like this with a new
ladder ? I'd rather not buy a used one.

Ah, yup see what you mean - you want to lean the ladder against the
house wall, but have a conservatory either side of you and they are only
a bit more than a ladder's width apart.

Well done John -- I, too, was thinking in terms of your conservatory
gutters, Jon, and was puzzled.

As for 2nd hand ladders: I would guess you could find some really good
ones, because most sellers would just like to get rid of them: ladders
take up a lot of space, and they know that [now] they are not going to
use them any more :-( Like me :-( :-(

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 11:23, Jon Schneider wrote:
I've noticed modern ladders have stabiliser bars which possibly can't be
removed once fitted.

I have a 52cm gap between my conservatory and next door's brick one and
I'd like to look at the gutters up there. If all new ladders have these
things what is the official way of doing a job like this with a new
ladder ? I'd rather not buy a used one.

Jon

I bought a ladder which has this stabiliser bar. The bar was not fitted
to the bottom of the ladder when it came, instead there are some
temporary feet which I would need to remove to fit the bar. The
temporary feet are not very good but might just do. I dislike the
ladder and wish I had not bought it, partly because it is a double
extension ladder and I can't separate the two parts without cutting a
tape which can be used to make the two parts lean against each other to
form a triangle.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2020 12:57, Jon Schneider wrote:
Standard triple extension 5m house-roof-reaching models.

Lyte say there are no feet otherwise.

Youngman it's clear in the picture you'd simply put weight on the
aluminium tube ends without the stabiliser.

Make wooden feet that slot into the tube. Use a rubber mat. Standard
aerialman technique.

Bill

wooden ladders N. Thornton UK diy 4 February 26th 04 09:07 AM
loft ladders MattP UK diy 6 February 8th 04 02:56 PM
Who knows how loft ladders work? Ged UK diy 2 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
Ladders Ladderax and Ladder Furniture Phil UK diy 3 November 2nd 03 11:52 PM
Ladders David W.E. Roberts UK diy 7 August 11th 03 07:38 PM