Phil

Default Ladders Ladderax and Ladder Furniture

The lovely ladderax company has long gone bust, but is there any one
else doin this style of wall rackin for flexible shelvin to carry
cupboards, drawers,wardrobes etc.

This stuff is highly flexible for peeps like me "Junk Hole Jim".
Surely Ikea UK or one of that mob do it ?

Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough UK

In uk.d-i-y, Phil wrote:
The lovely ladderax company has long gone bust, but is there any one
else doin this style of wall rackin for flexible shelvin to carry
cupboards, drawers,wardrobes etc.

This stuff is highly flexible for peeps like me "Junk Hole Jim".
Surely Ikea UK or one of that mob do it ?

You might find IKEA's IVAR stuff does what you want: definitely less
refined-looking than Ladderax - uprights made of unfinished pine -
and designed to be free-standing rather than wall-mounted. However,
it does have the essential arbitrary-height-increments feature of
Ladderax, in this case with 5mm? holes drilled into the uprights at
3cm? increments, with your shelves, cabinets, drawer units, and the
like hanging onto those holes. If you wanted to attach the back of the
upright to the wall you could, though they don't have the neat
skirting-board-skipping feature of Ladderax (and a front-to-back
member for the uprights is located quite low down, so to do the
skirting-board-straddle might mean adding a bit of dowelled-in-place
wood to the front foot as well as cutting the back one down a bit);
but it's so cheap you won't feel you're sinning by taking your
tenon saw to it ;-)

HTH, Stefek
Roger Mills

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
The lovely ladderax company has long gone bust, but is there any one
else doin this style of wall rackin for flexible shelvin to carry
cupboards, drawers,wardrobes etc.

This stuff is highly flexible for peeps like me "Junk Hole Jim".
Surely Ikea UK or one of that mob do it ?

Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough UK

Since this is a d-i-y NG, have you considered making your own - like I did
30-odd years ago? Admittedly, I worked for an engineering company at the
time, where I had access to better cutting, drilling and welding equipment
than the average d-i-y-er is likely to have at home.

I liked the idea of Staples Ladderax, but couldn't afford it - so I made a
sort of chinese copy. The ladder frames were made out of 1" square tubing,
mitred at the corners, and with the uprights drilled on the inside face at
3" intervals. The rungs were made of 1/4" mild steel bar, cut to length -
and had to be fed into the uprights before the corners were welded. The
ladders were painted matt black (later changed to gold) and adjustable feet
were fitted to the bottom corners. The shelf supports were made out of 3/16"
bar - and I made a jig for bending the ends to hook over the ladder rungs.
Shelves and cabinets were made of Contiboard - with grooves cut in the
bottom to fit over the shelf supports. They worked a treat - and even had
some minor design improvements over the Staples version!

I've still got some of them, although they have now been relegated from the
lounge to the room which my wife uses as an office.

Roger

Phil

Strewth you peeps are really the bizniz, reminds me of my old
Compuserve days back in 93 with their freindly helpful Forums. I've
bin prattin around in AOL chat rooms and message boards. All full of
nutters, know nuthins, and general "off subject" types. Must cancel
AOL and go back to NTL flat fee and a nice yummy newsgroup O L R.

Byee

Phil of Whittlesey Peterborough
A small piece of the Medieval theme park called England .