Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Primer for chipboard

Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2020 10:53, Scott wrote:
Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Personally I would use something intended for another
purpose, like IsoFlex Special Primer. This is intended for
sealing concrete or sound felt roofing prior to coating with
Isoflex itself.

If the chipboard has swollen and is going to be used as flooring
then its strength will have been compromised, so a solvent-based
substance to soak in and seal all the fibres would be a good
idea.

Wickes sell Isoflex. Wilco used to do 'old fashioned' solvent
wood primer (haven't been in for a while).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:22:04 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

[...]

But this aluminium primer is solvent-based.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Is it a floor?
If so consider replacing for strength. Swollen chip sounds like
it's already well on the way to turning back into
weetabix...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 17:03:40 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Is it a floor?
If so consider replacing for strength. Swollen chip sounds like
it's already well on the way to turning back into
weetabix...

No, it's a window ledge. It is rock solid as I stood on it this
morning for another reason. All that is wrong with it is that it is
very slightly raised where the accident (leaking bottle) occurred and
I wanted to make it level before repainting.

I found a tin of solvent based aluminium wood primer, which I thought
would be ideal, but decided to check with some experts first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
[...]

A chipboard window ledge?
Sure it's not MDF?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
[...]

How do I tell the difference? It is the colour of cardboard, and
dull. It could well be MDF.

If it is MDF, what are the prospects of using Dulux solvent based
aluminium wood primer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
[...]

Chipboard has visible er chips....
MDF being just glued together dust, doesn't have any visible chips...

https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.YaW eKmrRdGDM7r2YsxC
toAHaG-%26pid%3DApi&f=1

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
[...]

https://www.addicted2decorating.com/...ds/2014/01/mdf
-vs-particle-board.jpg
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott Wrote in message:
[...]

There are 'special' MDF primers, which presumably don't raise the
'grain' (or the fibres in the case of MDF). If you have already
allowed some of it to get wet, maybe a small tin of ronseal
wood hardener might be appropriate before using a primer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 19:57:57 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:
[snip]

Chipboard has visible er chips....
MDF being just glued together dust, doesn't have any visible chips...

https://www.addicted2decorating.com/...ds/2014/01/mdf
-vs-particle-board.jpg

Its MDF. Sorry about the confusion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:29:22 +0100, Andrew
wrote:
[snip]

There are 'special' MDF primers, which presumably don't raise the
'grain' (or the fibres in the case of MDF). If you have already
allowed some of it to get wet, maybe a small tin of ronseal
wood hardener might be appropriate before using a primer.

The MDF is in surprisingly good condition considering it suffered from
a leaking bottle of some chemical cleaning agent that dissolved the
paint. It is now dry and solid.

I am happy to join the two metre queue and buy a tin of MDF primer but
before doing so I just wondered what would stop me using the aluminium
wood primer I already have (and will be using on some wood), which is
solvent based. I know water is to be avoided.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:29:22 +0100, Andrew
wrote:
[snip]

There are 'special' MDF primers, which presumably don't raise the
'grain' (or the fibres in the case of MDF). If you have already
allowed some of it to get wet, maybe a small tin of ronseal
wood hardener might be appropriate before using a primer.

The MDF is in surprisingly good condition considering it suffered from
a leaking bottle of some chemical cleaning agent that dissolved the
paint. It is now dry and solid.

I am happy to join the two metre queue and buy a tin of MDF primer but
before doing so I just wondered what would stop me using the aluminium
wood primer I already have (and will be using on some wood), which is
solvent based. I know water is to be avoided.

A 2 metre queue?
Doesn't sound too bad - even before Saturday's change to 1m
distancing...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 10:53:50 +0100, Scott wrote:

Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Looking at following posts and seeing that you are using solvent-based
paint, I would suggest that you try P5(?) chipboard and water-based primer.
Solvent might attack the binding substance and water will attack wheetabix.
I used P5 in the loft; some of it got rather wet when it was stacked outside
(no rain forcast...!) but even the exposed innards weren't affected. The
surface is so hard that I had to use a drill to start the countersink for
the screw holes.
Note: where ther's a danger of a drill 'picking up', a masonary bit does a
good job of 'scraping' a hole.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Scott Wrote in message:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:29:22 +0100, Andrew
wrote:
[snip]

There are 'special' MDF primers, which presumably don't raise the
'grain' (or the fibres in the case of MDF). If you have already
allowed some of it to get wet, maybe a small tin of ronseal
wood hardener might be appropriate before using a primer.

The MDF is in surprisingly good condition considering it suffered from
a leaking bottle of some chemical cleaning agent that dissolved the
paint. It is now dry and solid.

I am happy to join the two metre queue and buy a tin of MDF primer but
before doing so I just wondered what would stop me using the aluminium
wood primer I already have (and will be using on some wood), which is
solvent based. I know water is to be avoided.

A 2 metre queue?
Doesn't sound too bad - even before Saturday's change to 1m
distancing...

I met a 2 metre distance queue at a local decorators merchant, on Monday.
Two people ahead of me, it didn't take too long and it wasn't raining.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 July 2020 20:53:24 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 20:29:22 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

[snip]

There are 'special' MDF primers, which presumably don't raise the
'grain' (or the fibres in the case of MDF). If you have already
allowed some of it to get wet, maybe a small tin of ronseal
wood hardener might be appropriate before using a primer.

The MDF is in surprisingly good condition considering it suffered from
a leaking bottle of some chemical cleaning agent that dissolved the
paint. It is now dry and solid.

I am happy to join the two metre queue and buy a tin of MDF primer but
before doing so I just wondered what would stop me using the aluminium
wood primer I already have (and will be using on some wood), which is
solvent based. I know water is to be avoided.

You can use any oil based primer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How did the damp get in the first place, through the edges. If its near
water I ended up putting those plastic edging strips over the edges and part
way down the sides. Its a pity makers of units don't use some kind of water
resistant material fo or units so exposed.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:36:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

How did the damp get in the first place, through the edges. If its near
water I ended up putting those plastic edging strips over the edges and part
way down the sides. Its a pity makers of units don't use some kind of water
resistant material fo or units so exposed.

No, it was a bottle of some cleaning chemical with a tiny hole in it.
The pool did not spread very far, nowhere near the edges. It did,
however strip off all the paint. The MDF is now fully dry and showing
no signs of damage other than a very small amount of swelling, which I
intend to sand down.