Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Primer for chipboard

On Wed, 01 Jul 2020 10:53:50 +0100, Scott wrote:

Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Looking at following posts and seeing that you are using solvent-based
paint, I would suggest that you try P5(?) chipboard and water-based primer.
Solvent might attack the binding substance and water will attack wheetabix.
I used P5 in the loft; some of it got rather wet when it was stacked outside
(no rain forcast...!) but even the exposed innards weren't affected. The
surface is so hard that I had to use a drill to start the countersink for
the screw holes.
Note: where ther's a danger of a drill 'picking up', a masonary bit does a
good job of 'scraping' a hole.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away