Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Primer for chipboard

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 15:22:04 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 01/07/2020 10:53, Scott wrote:
Am I right in thinking it is best to use solvent (ie, not water) based
primer for chipboard? I have found a tin of aluminium wood primer. Is
there anything to stop me using that?

The background is that the chipboard was damaged (and swollen) and I
had to rub it down so I don't want it to become swollen again.

Thanks

Personally I would use something intended for another
purpose, like IsoFlex Special Primer. This is intended for
sealing concrete or sound felt roofing prior to coating with
Isoflex itself.

If the chipboard has swollen and is going to be used as flooring
then its strength will have been compromised, so a solvent-based
substance to soak in and seal all the fibres would be a good
idea.

Wickes sell Isoflex. Wilco used to do 'old fashioned' solvent
wood primer (haven't been in for a while).

But this aluminium primer is solvent-based.