Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windoze 10, laptops dropping WiFi connections

We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 13:50, Jimk wrote:
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Check the wifi clutter. Try inssider
https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/
to see if your channel is being swamped by other signals
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 14:14, Jimk wrote:
Richard Wrote in message:
On 27/06/2020 13:50, Jimk wrote:
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Check the wifi clutter. Try inssider
https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/
to see if your channel is being swamped by other signals

WiFi analyser reports just our WiFi networks...

You're lucky!
In addition to ours, there are one TalkTalk, one Plusnet and Virgins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 13:50:40 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Do they both drop out and reconnect at the same time?
Any other devices that connect e.g. phone or tablet?
Any sources of interference e.g. heating contols, utility usage meters?

--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Herber Wrote in message:
[...]

I don't believe they do it at the same time but I'll try to find out.
Lots of other things connected & staying connected...
No other sources of interference that I can think of..

We have an aging Wii that (looking in the router logs) does a
similar thing....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Device Manager : (Wifi item) : Properties : Power Management

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

You could try unticking that and see what happens.

I don't have any Wifi here, so haven't tested stuff like that.
None of the routers were Wifi routers.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Got a wireless thermostat anywhere near the router? My mothers one would
regularly cause a drop in the Wi-Fi connection until we moved the router
further away.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Jimk wrote:
[...]

our microwave oven seems to cause short term dropouts on wifi

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:
[...]

No it's upstairs & so is the receiver...
I should point out that other devices on the WiFi appear to stay
attached "all day"... Just these laptops have episodes of
dropping & reconnecting....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Jimk wrote:
[...]

we do have a microwave but from the timings it's not usually on
when it happens...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk Wrote in message:
Tim+ Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:
[...]

Oh & the old Wii that's on & off all day whilst in "standby" -
powered but "off" yellow power light....

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 16:17, Paul Herber wrote:
Any sources of interference e.g. heating contols, utility usage meters?

USB3 is known to create interference with 2.4GHz WIFI.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2020 13:50, Jimk wrote:
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

What chipset are the laptops using? There are a handful of different
chipsets about and certain combos don't always play ball reliably.
Mostly I have seen iP*ds being tetchy about what they will connect to.

One option to see if it is Win10 specific is boot the laptop from a live
Linux distro and see if the network connection is stable. I once proved
my laptop mouse and keyboard had an intermittent fault this way. It
looked for all the world like a driver fault in Windows but once it was
clear that Linux had exactly the same problem it had to be hardware.

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?

Always worth cycling the power on the router before you do anything
else. Sometimes they do get into very strange states. My repeater does
it about every two or three months. Devices can see it and connect but
get no usable network traffic - cycling the power resolves it. The wired
pass through connections continue to work so it is a Wifi specific bug.

The most common cause of dropping a connection is poor Wifi signal.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Interference due to so many people having wifi. I get this with amazon
echos. If the laptops have network sockets try to connect via direct
connections, its far more reliable in my experience.
I'd have thought the higher band would be less congested locally since it
is affected more by walls, so fewer interfering routers.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
We have a couple of Lenovo laptops running win10 mostly used by my
sons to do school work, gaming & occasionally by
me!

Annoyingly they both regularly but intermittently drop their
connection to the house wifi, then reconnect. Then "some time"
later they do it again, sometines it's minutes sometimes it's
hours, so I'm pretty sure it's not the router lease expiring &
renewing

The house WiFi is a Plusnet hub one with both 2.4 & 5ghz WiFi
networks (different SSIDs), I wondered if they were chopping &
changing networks bit I told one m/c to forget the 5ghz network,
& it still drops the 2.4ghz connection... Grrrr...

any pointers where to start?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are there any of those pesky power internet adaptors in use anywhere near,
they notoriously create hash from DC to light, well not quite but they are
not exactly clean, neither are many power supplies for domestic gear either.
The problem I see seems to start on the back channel, from computer to hub
or phone to hub and then of course it tries to negotiate a new connection.
Not sure why this occurs, but maybe something just momentarily swamps the
signal and is enough to lose lock.
It is a really hard thing to diagnose. Which is why as much as possible
here uses cables.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Richard Wrote in message:
On 27/06/2020 13:50, Jimk wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I managed to make an amazon echo dot lose its connection when my Iphone
started to download a lot of email. Nobody really knows the secret
underbelly of these things in detail.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
Interference due to so many people having wifi. I get this with amazon
echos. If the laptops have network sockets try to connect via direct
connections, its far more reliable in my experience.

I'd have thought the higher band would be less congested locally since
it is affected more by walls, so fewer interfering routers.

but more likely to drop out if you move from room to room.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2020 09:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Interference due to so many people having wifi. I get this with amazon
echos. If the laptops have network sockets try to connect via direct
connections, its far more reliable in my experience.

Wifi works perfectly well enough most of the time. The only things I
have connected on wired ethernet are using insanely high bandwidth to
move large files about. Web browsing and the like it handles with ease.

I reckon routers run out of handles after a month or two on
continuously. Not really a problem for me since we usually have
powercuts often enough to reset it before it hits any such limits.

I'd have thought the higher band would be less congested locally since it
is affected more by walls, so fewer interfering routers.
Brian

The signal may also be weaker inside the home. Some of my internal (used
to be external) before the kitchen extension are 3' thick. That sheer
bulk stops most wireless signals which is why I have a wired repeater.

It is worth surveying your site for any interfering sources and choosing
the cleanest channel. Time was when every BT user sat on channel 11.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
That in theory at least should not happen unless you run a very long us b
cable or have a very badly designed pc!
Brian

There is an Intel report on this.

For USB2 this isn't a problem.

For USB3.0, there is a broad RF hump extending
from 0Hz to 5GHz, covering Wifi 2.4GHz nicely.

It's not a "clock peak", which would be a spectral spike
or a series of spikes.

It's a "data peak", which would normally be about 20db down.

Intel claims the shielding on a peripheral can accentuate it.

Here is the report.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...nce-papers.pdf

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2020 18:16, Paul wrote:
Here is the report.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...nce-papers.pdf

Thanks for the link.
I have experienced all the effects described.
The funny and misleading fact is that simply connecting any USB3 dongle
without reading /writing anything to it creates the problem.
It seems that USB3 drivers are important too as Linux is more affected
than W10 on the same hardware.
Any USB2 device on the USB3 port doesn't create the problem.
It is really annoying and my computer only has 1 USB3 port.
Trying a USB3 WIFI dongle would be interesting but I don't have any.