Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Use windoze to recover audio files from Linux disk?

Hi peeps,

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8 that has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly way to rescue it apparently according to the support line. The only way to save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro the hard drive, which is Linux formated (ext?)
Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using a windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Many thanks,

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 14:24:47 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8 that has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly way to rescue it apparently according to the support line. The only way to save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro the hard drive, which is Linux formated (ext?)
Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using a windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Many thanks,

Steve

Sounds like you need an ext3/4 reading utility.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 14:24, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8 that has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly way to rescue it apparently according to the support line. The only way to save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro the hard drive, which is Linux formated (ext?)
Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using a windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Many thanks,

Steve

Boot the Windows PC with Knoppix or a Ununtu/whatever live CD and read
the disk from that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/17 14:40, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 07/08/2017 14:24, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8 that
has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly way to
rescue it apparently according to the support line. The only way to
save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro the hard drive,
which is Linux formated (ext?)
Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using a
windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Many thanks,

Steve

Boot the Windows PC with Knoppix or a Ununtu/whatever live CD and read
the disk from that.

yes. thats probably the simplest way.

put the old hd either in a usb caddy or in the winpc, an boot linux.

try an fsck on the corrupted disk if it wont mount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8
that has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly
way to rescue it apparently according to the support line. The
only way to save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro
the hard drive, which is Linux formated (ext?)

Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using
a windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Its better to boot a windows like linux live CD like Ubuntu and copy those
files using that.

Its not that hard to use in that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So run ubuntu from disk?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
So run ubuntu from disk?

Yep.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 06:58:48 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
So run ubuntu from disk?

direct from CD. I agree this is the better option, but some windows only people will struggle with it in some cases, so try it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2017 2:24 PM, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have limited experience with Linux, but have an old xiva music8 that has a corrupt operating system on it and there's no possibly way to rescue it apparently according to the support line. The only way to save all my cd colection is to remove the files fro the hard drive, which is Linux formated (ext?)
Is there a way to be able to recover the flac and MP3 files using a windows pc from a Linux formated drive? Can any one advise?

Many thanks,

Steve

Other than the CD option, you can get a LIVE USB OS that will boot.