Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Default How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:12:24 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
but the video implies that the power supply "pushes" the current

Just a clumsy description.

I think I get what Rod Speed is saying.
When I start my blender, the lights dim for a second in my California
kitchen. Then everything is fine.

I think what Rod Speed is saying is, if the hard disk drive motor is
drawing too much current for the original power supply to handle, then
adding a larger capacity (more current) power supply, will allow it to draw
more current than the original power supply could handle.

That, in an emergency situation such as mine, might be the way to free a
"stuck" drive.

As noted, my drive isn't stuck - it's just clicking and spinning until the
clicking gives up ... so I think I'll give up on the larger power supply.
Plus, I'm using the Vantec IDE-to-USB adapter which comes with its own
power supply.

Funny thing, the hard drives I tested STILL WORK on the Vantec IDE-to-USB
adapter even without plugging in the external power supply. I guess they
get power from the USB - but I'll use the external power supply also to
power the naked laptop hard disk drive.

The good thing is we're learning - the bad thing is that we probably can't
use any freeware on earth to resurrect this drive ... or can we?
Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Erica Eshoo wrote:
[...]

Nope, its got a hardware problem, thats why it isnt seen by the OS.

Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

"Erica Eshoo" wrote in message
et...
[...]

That's BS, even the smallest PC power supply can produce enough current to
vaporize the traces right off the circuit board in the hard drive. Sometimes
when semiconductors get marginal, increasing the voltage slightly will allow
them to work, but a higher wattage power supply won't necessarily (and
shouldn't actually) produce any higher voltage, but variation from one to
another may be enough to make a difference in some extremely rare cases.

If the drive is not spinning, the motor control IC is probably bad.

Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

James Sweet wrote
Erica Eshoo wrote
[...]

That's BS,

What's bull**** ?

even the smallest PC power supply can produce enough current to vaporize the traces right off the circuit board in the
hard drive.

Pity about the short circuit current limit that all power supplys have.

Sometimes when semiconductors get marginal, increasing the voltage slightly will allow them to work,

The problem aint with the semiconductors.

but a higher wattage power supply won't necessarily (and shouldn't actually) produce any higher voltage,

Thats wrong too when the power supply is marginal and
cant supply the full rated voltage to all the rails and the hard
drive rotation motor when the heads are stuck to the platters.

but variation from one to another may be enough to make a difference in some extremely rare cases.

Nothing extremely rare about modern systems which
have enough of a load on the 12V rail that sees that
sag when its also trying to spin up the hard drive.

If the drive is not spinning, the motor control IC is probably bad.

Or the heads are stuck to the platters, stiction.

Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Erica Eshoo wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 06:12:24 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
but the video implies that the power supply "pushes" the current

Just a clumsy description.

I think I get what Rod Speed is saying.
When I start my blender, the lights dim for a second in my California
kitchen. Then everything is fine.

I think what Rod Speed is saying is, if the hard disk drive motor is
drawing too much current for the original power supply to handle, then
adding a larger capacity (more current) power supply, will allow it to draw
more current than the original power supply could handle.

That, in an emergency situation such as mine, might be the way to free a
"stuck" drive.

No. While the idea is sound, the numbers and other facts are not.
One problem is that PSUs (unless dying ones) supply far, far more
power than a HDD needs to start.

As noted, my drive isn't stuck - it's just clicking and spinning until the
clicking gives up ... so I think I'll give up on the larger power supply.
Plus, I'm using the Vantec IDE-to-USB adapter which comes with its own
power supply.

Thet is the next problem. Historically HDDs used to have heads stick
to surfaces. With better coating this has not been an issue for a
decade or two.

Funny thing, the hard drives I tested STILL WORK on the Vantec IDE-to-USB
adapter even without plugging in the external power supply. I guess they
get power from the USB - but I'll use the external power supply also to
power the naked laptop hard disk drive.

Standard, although it overloads the USB port on drive startup.
Typically not a problem.

The good thing is we're learning - the bad thing is that we probably
can't use any freeware on earth to resurrect this drive ... or can
we?

I don't think you can. From a certain point one, hardware defects
cannot be corrected or worked around with software anymore.

Arno