Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default Water tank repurposed

Not mine, but I thought this was cool. Keeps the spinning rust company I
guess.

https://i.redd.it/evdg2ngeei651.jpg

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 10:08:16 +0100, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

Not mine, but I thought this was cool. Keeps the spinning rust company I
guess.

https://i.redd.it/evdg2ngeei651.jpg

1) It keeps all the stuff together, a-la 19" rack.

2) It saves him having to get it out the loft (as you might prefer if
you wanted the space and it leaked etc).

3) It might help protect the roof woodwork should a bit catch fire
(more so than a wooden shelving system etc).

4) It's cool (as you say). The re purposing of industrial equipment
for domestic roles seems to still be 'in'.

5) For that purpose it works as well as a brand new one. ;-)

6) It's good for the environment (Reuse / re purpose).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

In uk.d-i-y Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Not mine, but I thought this was cool. Keeps the spinning rust company I
guess.

https://i.redd.it/evdg2ngeei651.jpg

Aw, I was expecting at least some liquid cooling ;-)

Theo

(hmm, there's that nice big tank of heating oil outside, what could go
wrong...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Anyone going to tell the blind about it?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
Not mine, but I thought this was cool. Keeps the spinning rust company I
guess.

https://i.redd.it/evdg2ngeei651.jpg

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 20:36:53 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Anyone going to tell the blind about it?

It is a rectangular galvanised metal cold-water tank, placed on its side and hung on the wall with the open top to the front, with 19 inch rack strip mounted in it, and networking stuff and an HP microsever.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Anyone going to tell the blind about it?
Brian

Start with a steel box.

Open in the front.

Two feet wide.
Three feet high.
At least two feet deep.

On the front face, the four corners of the box are
reinforced with heavy steel triangular plates to prevent the
steel box from deforming. The construction suggests
the box could take several tons of force without
failing.

The box has a gray finish, a bit of dirt, shows a bit
of age.

Inside the box, are the uprights for a 19 inch rack
system to hold electronics.

At the top, are two mains outlet bars, one above the other,
holding a couple wall adapters and a lot of AC plugs.

Below that are two slim wide items holding a multitude of
RJ45 Ethernet connectors. Short white patch cables,
connect the ports from the lower item (router?) to
a similar looking item above.

Below that are a couple home networking boxes, perhaps
one is a broadband modem.

Below that is a thin "Sky box", with a single LED on the
front right. There's no label or model number, to ferret
out a purpose.

Below that is a 14 inch "cube" HP server box, with
a DVD drive at the very top of the unit. The front of the
HP box has a series of randomly placed holes, kinda looks
like a Tetris game in motion. Those would be ventilation
holes.

A similar looking box I can see on another web page, says:

HP's ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is an affordable
starter server for businesses that need nothing
more than centralized file services, printer management,
and light virtualization.

The end result, is a wealthy persons home electronics collection,
in a recycled grubby-looking-but-very-sturdy box. A box with
HP branding, is not typical of your average home setup.

There's no sign I can see, that an angle grinder touched it.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brilliant

I feel guilty for putting our (larger) one out for the bin men 20 years ago (but maybe it found its way to a reclamation yard).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:53:30 -0400, Paul wrote:

HP's ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is an affordable starter server for
businesses that need nothing more than centralized file services,
printer management,
and light virtualization.

The end result, is a wealthy persons home electronics collection,
in a recycled grubby-looking-but-very-sturdy box. A box with HP
branding, is not typical of your average home setup.

Well.... I have some of those Gen8 microservers. If you bought at the
right time, they were little more than £100 each.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:53:30 -0400, Paul wrote:

HP's ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is an affordable starter server for
businesses that need nothing more than centralized file services,
printer management,
and light virtualization.

The end result, is a wealthy persons home electronics collection,
in a recycled grubby-looking-but-very-sturdy box. A box with HP
branding, is not typical of your average home setup.

Well.... I have some of those Gen8 microservers. If you bought at the
right time, they were little more than £100 each.

I'm not familiar with the product - it's the
first one of those I've seen.

For that amount of money, normally you'd get a NAS
with room for one disk drive. And the box would be
a bit smaller.

There was one other kind of device, called an NDAS,
which was half the price you name, but the difference
was, each client machine needed a custom driver installed
to talk to it. It didn't seem to use standard protocols.
But was pretty cheap, and would have room for just
the one drive. And these would be BYOD offerings, where
you install your own disk in them.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 01:09:09 -0400, Paul wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 18:53:30 -0400, Paul wrote:

HP's ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is an affordable starter server for
businesses that need nothing more than centralized file services,
printer management,
and light virtualization.

The end result, is a wealthy persons home electronics collection,
in a recycled grubby-looking-but-very-sturdy box. A box with HP
branding, is not typical of your average home setup.

Well.... I have some of those Gen8 microservers. If you bought at the
right time, they were little more than £100 each.

I'm not familiar with the product - it's the first one of those I've
seen.

For that amount of money, normally you'd get a NAS with room for one
disk drive. And the box would be a bit smaller.

I have a number of Gen7 and Gen8 machines. There's a Gen7 with four bays
that is the local NAS. Another is the VoIP PBX.

I've just set up a spare Gen8 to experiment as a jitsi server. Works well
up to the point when the VDSL uplink becomes saturated.

These are all running FreeBSD, nothing proprietary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jun 2020 10:58:11 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

These are all running FreeBSD, nothing proprietary.

I do like the idea of Open / Free (free) and often see if there is
such a solution that I can use, before considering the commercial /
propriety ones.

A while back a mate gave me an Android TV box. I played with it a bit
but didn't really have a need for it so stuck it away. When I started
playing with TV / Network tuners recently I dug it back out and
initial experiments suggested it was 'obsolete'. But then I found
alternative ways to do things (downloading / installing an .apk
manually rather than using the Play Store etc) and have now managed to
make use of it.

Yesterday, I took on a mates box but have round that even further
'behind' (it's running Android V4.1.1 whereas mine is 5.2.2 (and I
think they are up to V9 or so now?).

So it's like lots of things where they make a fundamental change, once
they do you can be left behind (especially Apple hardware / IOS) and
it seems Android 5.x seems to be one of those steps.

eg, You can't seem to get a recent version of Kodi to run on 4.1.1 but
they have made a custom version that get's you up to 17.1, but that
still doesn't seem to be late enough to get the TVHeadend PVR / client
installed (or I can't as yet). ;-(

So, an alternative client solution could be a Raspberry Pi (4?)
because at least you should be able to run the latest Linux on it as
someone is bound to make it work. ;-)

Cheers, T i m