Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repurposed: Hutch To Kitchen Island

My latest project is complete and has been delivered.

My daughter graduated from college and moved into an apartment. The kitchen
is a good size, but there is literally no counter space for food prep. I found
a hutch at a consignment shop and repurposed it to be a kitchen island.

The before pictures:

Front:
http://i.imgur.com/XOFNEPG.jpg

Rear:
http://i.imgur.com/IMX6o1a.jpg

I removed the slatted wood from the upper section and used it to finish
the back of the bottom section so that it matched the slatted doors. The
butcher block top came from Lowes. I added drawer slides since the drawers
were just loose fitted in the rough opening. Lastly, it was painted to
match her kitchen table (which also has a butcher block style top) so that
it can move with her to her next place.

The after pictures:

Front:
http://i.imgur.com/MWJQG06.jpg

Rear:
http://i.imgur.com/1ulg2Yi.jpg

To top it all off, I drove to Massachusetts, picked up my 86 year dad and
took him to Vermont with me to deliver the island. My daughter's place is
about 20 minutes from the Killington Mountain Ski Resort, so the 3 of us
took the gondola up to the peak and had lunch at the lodge.

http://i.imgur.com/wXNrfGH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bxtONv3.jpg

It was a great day for all.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sweet!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice re-purpose. Good job.

And the scenery looks inviting, also. Wish we had a few nice mountain (or even rolling hills) views, as that. Our flat landscape is somewhat boring and the recent heat-humidity wave doesn't help the feeling of life-style stagnation, lately.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice job. Looks great. Hope she is happy and proud.

I love when things get repurposed and not tossed.
Too muxh stuff is tossed today.

DerbyDad03 was heard to mutter:

[...]

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/2017 9:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Great transaction and a great time delivering! Great JOB!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/10/2017 10:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My latest project is complete and has been delivered.

My daughter graduated from college and moved into an apartment. The kitchen
is a good size, but there is literally no counter space for food prep. I found
a hutch at a consignment shop and repurposed it to be a kitchen island.

Front:
http://i.imgur.com/MWJQG06.jpg

Rear:
http://i.imgur.com/1ulg2Yi.jpg

To top it all off, I drove to Massachusetts, picked up my 86 year dad and
took him to Vermont with me to deliver the island. My daughter's place is
about 20 minutes from the Killington Mountain Ski Resort, so the 3 of us
took the gondola up to the peak and had lunch at the lodge.

http://i.imgur.com/wXNrfGH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bxtONv3.jpg

It was a great day for all.

That is a smart shortcut to a nice finished product. Did it go easily
into the gondola though?