Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Haircut

I have just had to tackle SWMBO's hair and her mine, with an old 240v
mains 'buzz' trimmer, for which the instructions were lost long ago. On
the side of it there are two adjustments, a lever which moves the
engagement of one of the blades back and forth with relation to the
other blade, then a sort of plastic screw. Its that screw I struggling
to work out how to adjust.

Midway through hair cutting, the trimmer began making a tremendous
amount of noise, a much louder buzz. Adjusting the screw seemed to
affect the buzz, but not fix it.

From memory the moving blade is between two strong springs, one fixed,
the pressure of the other adjusted by the screw.

Does anyone know how this screw should be adjusted please?

Both haircuts turned out reasonable, despite the racket from the
trimmer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2020 19:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just had to tackle SWMBO's hair and her mine, with an old 240v
mains 'buzz' trimmer, for which the instructions were lost long ago. On
the side of it there are two adjustments, a lever which moves the
engagement of one of the blades back and forth with relation to the
other blade, then a sort of plastic screw. Its that screw I struggling
to work out how to adjust.

Midway through hair cutting, the trimmer began making a tremendous
amount of noise, a much louder buzz. Adjusting the screw seemed to
affect the buzz, but not fix it.

From memory the moving blade is between two strong springs, one fixed,
the pressure of the other adjusted by the screw.

Does anyone know how this screw should be adjusted please?

ISTR you tighten it until it makes the loud buzz, then back it off half
a turn.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 10:20:02 AM UTC+10, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/06/2020 19:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have just had to tackle SWMBO's hair and her mine, with an old 240v
mains 'buzz' trimmer, for which the instructions were lost long ago. On
the side of it there are two adjustments, a lever which moves the
engagement of one of the blades back and forth with relation to the
other blade, then a sort of plastic screw. Its that screw I struggling
to work out how to adjust.

Midway through hair cutting, the trimmer began making a tremendous
amount of noise, a much louder buzz. Adjusting the screw seemed to
affect the buzz, but not fix it.

From memory the moving blade is between two strong springs, one fixed,
the pressure of the other adjusted by the screw.

Does anyone know how this screw should be adjusted please?

ISTR you tighten it until it makes the loud buzz, then back it off half
a turn.

--
Cheers,

John.

.... the instruction leaflet says to adjust the screw for minimum noise which it says corresponds to maximum speed. And it feels so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 08:49, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I did mine with a pair of hairdressing scissors and the beard trimmer from a
phillishave. That apparently worked too. Of course its a lot easier on ones
self as you can feel what you are doing.
Brian

and you can't see the result ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 21/06/2020 :
I did mine with a pair of hairdressing scissors and the beard trimmer from a
phillishave. That apparently worked too. Of course its a lot easier on ones
self as you can feel what you are doing.

I have a Lidl rechargeable shaver which came with a hair trimmer, plus
nasal trimmer. It has a depth guard and is rather good because of its
oscillation speed, but the head is rather too narrow and it is rather
keen/ no second chance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... laid this down on his screen :
and you can't see the result ....

Cut short-ish, I can feel whether it's right or wrong, but I wouldn't
like to attempt to have to do it myself.

I was surprised at how easy it was to cut someones hair, using just a
plastic depth of cut guide. I guess it would be much harder to get it
to look right, with longer hair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in
message ...
I have just had to tackle SWMBO's hair and her mine, with an old 240v
mains 'buzz' trimmer, for which the instructions were lost long ago. On
the side of it there are two adjustments, a lever which moves the
engagement of one of the blades back and forth with relation to the other
blade, then a sort of plastic screw. Its that screw I struggling to work
out how to adjust.

hopefully barbers open next week

their will probably be a three week long queue out the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2020 19:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Both haircuts turned out reasonable, despite the racket from the trimmer.

Was it louder than her screaming in horror ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew presented the following explanation :
Was it louder than her screaming in horror ?.

She was unusually quiet throughout the entire operation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 21/06/2020 08:49, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I did mine with a pair of hairdressing scissors and the beard trimmer
from a
phillishave. That apparently worked too. Of course its a lot easier on
ones
self as you can feel what you are doing.

and you can't see the result ....

But with the very short mowing that I do,
its very easy to feel the bits you missed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2020 20:35, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew presented the following explanation :
Was it louder than her screaming in horror ?.

She was unusually quiet throughout the entire operation.

Terror can do that to a person :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:01:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent: