Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O/T - haircut length numbers

I am trying to find the length of a cut so I can compare measurements in mm
with the 'number scale'.

Firstly, let me say that Google has not been my friend.

I have only found a couple of references.

One says that No.1 = 1/8th", No.2=2/8" etc.
http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquesti...ipper_cuts.htm

The other shows lengths for different makers of hair clippers which do not
seem to follow a linear scale.
They are close to the "number/8 inches" and generally consistent but not
enough to extrapolate to higher numbers.
I am trying to work out how long a No.8 cut should be.
http://www.ftmguide.org/haircuts.html#terms

"Andis
Andis clippers come with removable blades of different lengths. The
length/numbering of certain Andis blades may vary, depending on the model.
Shown below is one of their major blade lines.

UltraEdge blade series
"Trimmer" -- 1/150 inch
00000 -- 1/125 inch
0000 -- 1/100 inch
0000A -- 1/75 inch
000 -- 1/50 inch
0A -- 3/64 inch
1 -- 3/32 inch
1A -- 1/8 inch
1.5 -- 5/32 inch
2 -- 1/4 inch
3.5 -- 3/8 inch
3.75 -- 1/2 inch
5/8 HT -- 5/8 inch
3/4 HT -- 3/4 inch

Oster
Oster's "Classic" clipper comes with removable blades of different lengths.
Oster clippers are often used in shops that specialize in military-style
haircuts.

00000 -- 1/125 inch
0000 -- 1/100 inch
000 -- 1/50 inch
0A -- 3/64 inch
1 -- 3/32 inch
1A -- 1/8 inch
1.5 -- 5/32 inch
2 -- 1/4 inch
3.5 -- 3/8 inch
3.75 -- 1/2 inch

Wahl
A number of Wahl clippers come with adjustable blades that move between 1 mm
(about 1/25 inch) and 3 mm (about 1/8 inch) in length. Some models have
detachable blades, which are listed below. (Wahl provides measurements in
millimeters.)

Competition blade series
00000 -- 0.4 mm
0000 -- 0.6 mm
000 -- 0.8 mm
0A -- 1.8 mm
1 -- 2 mm
1A -- 2.8 mm
1.5 -- 3.8 mm
2 -- 6 mm
3.5 -- 8 mm
3.75 -- 10 mm "

Couldn't even find it on Wikipedia - I may be using the wrong search terms.

TIA

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 11:10, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Couldn't even find it on Wikipedia - I may be using the wrong search terms.

maybe no-one else gives a sh1t? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

Well, those numbers mean nowt to me.

In every barber I've been in, the numbers (grades) go 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6, 7, 8.

The grades refer to the plastic comb (or guard) that goes on the
clippers, not the cutting blades.

I usually go for a 4, which is short, but not severe. 3 looks severe; 2
feels like you've been scalped, but you haven't really, 1 is short back
and sides and 0 is the closest thing you'll get to being shaved (AIUI,
you need a special licence to shave bald because of the risk of causing
excessive bleeding).

HTH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cr...des_and_Guards

According to BaByliss, Grades 1~6 equate to 3~19mm, which roughly means
1/8" per grade.

http://www.babylisspro.co.uk/products/precision-taper suggests the same
idea extended to grade 8 (i.e. FX628U is grade 1 and FX635U is grade 8).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts :
I am trying to find the length of a cut so I can compare measurements
in mm with the 'number scale'.

mm = number x 3 IME.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-04 11:10:13 +0100, David WE Roberts said:

I am trying to find the length of a cut so I can compare measurements
in mm with the 'number scale'.

Why is this OT?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

I usually have my head shaved with a number zero.
I also have had it shaved with a razor.

Not once have I had a cut.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 17:46, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Dave Osborne wrote:

I usually go for a 4, which is short, but not severe. 3 looks severe;
2 feels like you've been scalped, but you haven't really, 1 is short
back and sides and 0 is the closest thing you'll get to being shaved
(AIUI, you need a special licence to shave bald because of the risk
of causing excessive bleeding).

I usually have my head shaved with a number zero.
I also have had it shaved with a razor.

Not once have I had a cut.

ditto
far better 'slap' on a shaved head IMHO....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-04 11:10:13 +0100, David WE Roberts said:

I am trying to find the length of a cut so I can compare measurements in
mm with the 'number scale'.

Why is this OT?

O.K. - buying a hair trimmer does show an intention to Do It Yourself :-)

Then again, so does buying a washing machine or frying pan.
So I thought that on balance it was off topic.

Thanks to all the useful replies.

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder