Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Haircut for a doormat - how?

Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
David wrote:
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?

Turn the doormat round so that the high bit is elsewhere?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 5:40 pm, "Mark" wrote:

Turn the doormat round so that the high bit is elsewhere?

mark- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, but it's the well that is higher in the corner nearest the
door, not the doormat that is thicker.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 5:34 pm, Andrew May wrote:

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm, that's an idea if I can get one reaonably cheaply. You've made
me think of trying a disposable razor now... (makes mental note to
ensure it is thrown away afterwards).

Any other ideas folks?

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:29:44 -0700, David wrote:

Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave enough
for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the large
(1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the front right
hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to have the joiner
plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not then fit so well
along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30 section
of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious ain't the
word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

==================================
You could try an electric hedge trimmer if you've got one.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:53:12 -0700, David
wrote:

On Oct 18, 5:34 pm, Andrew May wrote:

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm, that's an idea if I can get one reaonably cheaply. You've made
me think of trying a disposable razor now... (makes mental note to
ensure it is thrown away afterwards).

Any other ideas folks?

david

You could try a carving knife - might not work but you never know...
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com, David
says...
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Perhaps an orbital sander be able to quickly "wear" down the relevant
area. Especially with a coarse sanding disk. I bet that would work
quickly and effectively.
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
David writes:
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

You can get doormat in different thicknesses to match the thickness
of different fitted carpets. When I had a carpet fitted ~7 years ago,
the fitter ordered a piece of dormat exactly the right thickness to
match the carpet height, which he then cut to fit the frame. I've no
idea where you might get this, but a carpet supplier might be a good
starting point.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
David wrote:
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

Hair trimmer on an electric razor?

Something like this? (I assume it is like spiky hair not tight woven
because of your scissor attack)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3ECLIPPERS.htm

If you use a guard it will give an even finish.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.trimamat.netfirms.com/

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
http://www.trimamat.netfirms.com/

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

LOL !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just had a new door fitted (have done internal doors, but not brave
enough for the front door.

Fits the frame perfectly. Problem is that it rubs on a bit of the
large (1.5m x 2m) inset doormat when opened. This is because the
front right hand side of the doormat well is higher. I'm loath to
have the joiner plane more off the bottom of the door as it will not
then fit so well along the threshold.

So...can anyone think of a method of giving a haircit to a 30x30
section of a coir doormat? I've started with scissors, but laborious
ain't the word. I have googled this but I may be the first..

Thanks

David

You could always dig out the bottom of the matwell and re-screed it so that
it's level ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Oct, various folks helped me with my doormat and wrote:

Thanks guys.

The goat - disadvantages with the cat and the garden (and the goat
stand), but carbon-wise...

The £6.99 hair trimmers might be worth a go, so long as I'm not
tempted to try to save money on haircuts afterwards (those childhood
memories...)

Hedge trimmer - might need to wait until I'm alone in the house.
Orbital sander likewise.

Different thickness of doormat. Looks like the perfect solution.

Dig out the mat well/grind the well down. Good to see the UK D-I-Y
logical tool of Occam's angle grinder is applicable.

Thanks again

David

best doormat clover Home Ownership 1 April 15th 07 07:06 PM
London - from Argos - home haircut kit - £30 - Remington Salon Professional Ceramic Hair Cut Kit HC363. [email protected] UK diy 7 July 13th 06 01:04 AM
Doormat on mahogany floor [email protected] Woodworking 2 September 3rd 05 06:42 PM