Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a gauge in a dash

I have a dash on a boat, in centre of dash is an oddment tray ... for
sunglasses etc.
This is the only free location to fit a 3'5" gauge.

The back of this tray slopes away ... so if I just drilled 3.5" hole the
gauge display would not be able to be read.

Pic of dash is here .... https://flic.kr/p/2jcmEfB

My initial though is that I need to make some form of wedge mount, that
would make gauge face vertical ...
see my sketch: https://flic.kr/p/2jcpbFA

Alternative options ...
Cut all the back off the oddment tray and fix a flat backplate to it
...... anyone know of a source of quality plastic (nylon ?)
Machining off the back neatly maybe not be easy (unless you know of
companies who do this sort of work)

Remove oddment tray entirely and fit a flat blanking plate (might be
easiest for fitting)
I guess I could manufacture out of ally sheet ... would need to have
some good finish applied (maybe carbon effect foil?)

Suggestions? anybody know of a place that makes prototypes / one off's
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:30:04 +0100, rick wrote:

Pic of dash is here .... https://flic.kr/p/2jcmEfB

My initial though is that I need to make some form of wedge mount, that
would make gauge face vertical ...
see my sketch: https://flic.kr/p/2jcpbFA

Sketch indicates the oddments tray clips in from the front of the
dash. If so I think I'd remove it and fit a flat panel held by brass
or stainless counter sunk raised head machine screws 'n bolts. Whose
holes in the dash would be covered by the flange of the tray should
it ever be refitted.

What to make the panel from? Ali, maybe. Does this boat ever get to
exposed to salt water? Ali and salt water don't get on... 3 or 4 mm
self coloured acrylic sheet, off cut from a sign maker?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick expressed precisely :
Alternative options ...
Cut all the back off the oddment tray and fix a flat backplate to it .....
anyone know of a source of quality plastic (nylon ?)

Would a nylon rectangle, as used as used for cutting and carving food
work? They are white, so may need spraying to match. The other two
instruments match the angle of the dash, why might this need to have a
different angle?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pic of dash is here ....Â* https://flic.kr/p/2jcmEfB

see my sketch:Â* https://flic.kr/p/2jcpbFA

Alternative options ...
Cut all the back off the oddment tray and fix a flat backplate to it
..... anyone know of a source of quality plasticÂ*Â* (nylon ?)
Machining off the back neatly maybe not be easyÂ* (unless you know of
companies who do this sort of work)

Remove oddment tray entirely and fit a flat blanking plateÂ* (might be
easiest for fitting)
I guess I could manufacture out of ally sheet ... would need to have
some good finish appliedÂ*Â* (maybe carbon effect foil?)

Suggestions?Â*Â* anybody know of a place that makes prototypes / one off's

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct size.

Single height DIN is approx 50mm x 180mm (hole size so blanking plate is
larger)
Double height DIN is approx 100mm x 180mm (hole size so blanking plate
is larger)

Random Examples
(single)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Radio...-/321778734827

double
https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2125818516

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rick wrote:
Suggestions? anybody know of a place that makes prototypes / one off's

Have a look at the various companies that supply bits for kit cars.
Mounting pods for instruments are common. Hopefully one which could be
adapted to your purpose.

--
*America is so advanced that even the chairs are electric.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Find somebody who can 3D print what you want?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"rick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 13:55, alan_m wrote:
On 16/06/2020 11:30, rick wrote:
[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 12:58, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
rick expressed precisely :
Alternative options ...
Cut all the back off the oddment tray and fix a flat backplate to it
..... anyone know of a source of quality plastic** (nylon ?)

Would a nylon rectangle, as used as used for cutting and carving food
work? They are white, so may need spraying to match. The other two
instruments match the angle of the dash, why might this need to have a
different angle?

That would work if I machine it up them have it wet transfer dipped with
a nice finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 12:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:30:04 +0100, rick wrote:

Pic of dash is here .... https://flic.kr/p/2jcmEfB

My initial though is that I need to make some form of wedge mount, that
would make gauge face vertical ...
see my sketch: https://flic.kr/p/2jcpbFA

Sketch indicates the oddments tray clips in from the front of the
dash. If so I think I'd remove it and fit a flat panel held by brass
or stainless counter sunk raised head machine screws 'n bolts. Whose
holes in the dash would be covered by the flange of the tray should
it ever be refitted.

What to make the panel from? Ali, maybe. Does this boat ever get to
exposed to salt water? Ali and salt water don't get on... 3 or 4 mm
self coloured acrylic sheet, off cut from a sign maker?

You are right that it slots in from the front after a lot of thought,
replacing with a flat panel is going to be easier ..... Boat is used in
sal****er.

My thoughts were black nylon sheet ... possibly have it wet transfer
dipped to look like carbon

Keeping original panel would have given me the nice logos ... but too
difficult I think.

Know anywhere I can get a suitable plastic from .... something that will
machine well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY tools

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 21:10:43 +0100, rick wrote:

Know anywhere I can get a suitable plastic from .... something that will
machine well.

Have a dig about on eBay, plenty of suppliers of arcylic sheet (aka
perspex) cut to size, sawn or polished edges, clear, tinted,
coloured.

See if there is a local sign maker or similar who would let you have
an off cut?

Looks like some will make (CNC) whatever you want, probably for a
price.

Acrylic machines well with sharp tools and taking it easy to avoid it
melting. Will polish up, again be gentle if using a powered tool.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 21:11, rick wrote:

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct
size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY tools

Youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzN6GZeEzs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 22:21, alan_m wrote:
On 16/06/2020 21:11, rick wrote:

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct
size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY
tools

Youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzN6GZeEzs

Watch out for the carbon dust - wear a mask/Its nasty, but mostly its
just fibreglass with attitude.metal working tools are fine

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 21:11, rick wrote:

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct
size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY
tools

Youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzN6GZeEzs

That video should be in te wiki.

Can't agree more on permagrit hand tools as well.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 11:30, rick wrote:

OK ... plan seems to be remove existing oddment tray .... replace with a
flat panel of Acrylic (Makrolon, Perspex or similar)

Ideally if I can get it CNC cut will be quicker (welcome names of
anyone who does this)

Then I will get it Wet Transfer printed with a Carbon fibre patten
coating, then clear coated on top.
Fit new panel with 'through fittings' of stainless raised csk bolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2020 21:11, rick wrote:

What size is the hole if you remove the tray?

A DIN car radio blanking panel are readily available if the correct
size.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SOFIALXC-Ca.../dp/B07VDKHL3W

for sexy carbon fibre sheet

Never used Carbon sheet, is it easy enough to machine ? .... with DIY
tools

Youtube tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWzN6GZeEzs

That video should be in te wiki.

Can't agree more on permagrit hand tools as well.

OK .... using acrylic and getting it coated seems easier