Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging chair - advice

Hi All,

My daughter is getting a hanging chair for her bedroom. It is essentially made of ropes which end with a single loop at the top to hang it from. There are no other fittings with it so wondered what the best way to hang it from the ceiling is?

Assuming I can screw it into a joist where she wants it I have the following questions
1. What fitting to use? Having had a look in Screwfix was wondering if something like these would work
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnodur-...5-x-15mm/527jf
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-z...-10-pack/15851

or anything better?
2. If I end up with a plate type thing (such as the first link), assume I will need to cut the plasterboard to ensure it is on the joist itself to avoid the ceiling cracking?

If I can't get to the joist now what are my options? 3/4" ply screwed between 2 joists (either on ceiling or between the joists) and then what fitting? Assume I will need a much broader plate type thing with several screws to distribute the load?

Sense this is all fraught with danger and the fitting is many times more complicating than buying the thing in the first place

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 11:44, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter is getting a hanging chair for her bedroom. It is essentially made of ropes which end with a single loop at the top to hang it from. There are no other fittings with it so wondered what the best way to hang it from the ceiling is?

Can't she just kick the chair away when she's ready?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 12:07, Max Demian wrote:
On 13/06/2020 11:44, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter is getting a hanging chair for her bedroom.Â* It is
essentially made of ropes which end with a single loop at the top to
hang it from.Â* There are no other fittings with it so wondered what
the best way to hang it from the ceiling is?

Can't she just kick the chair away when she's ready?

You is naughty!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not enough detail supplied for the first fixing. As for the second one I do not think I would be happy hanging of something 4.3mm in diam. Either seated or otherwise. The 12G version is more a possibility you are talking of a material diameter of 6mm.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-z...3mm-x-75mm-10-

pack/15851

or anything better?
2. If I end up with a plate type thing (such as the first link), assume
I will need to cut the plasterboard to ensure it is on the joist itself
to avoid the ceiling cracking?

If I can't get to the joist now what are my options? 3/4" ply screwed
between 2 joists (either on ceiling or between the joists) and then what
fitting? Assume I will need a much broader plate type thing with
several screws to distribute the load?

Sense this is all fraught with danger and the fitting is many times more
complicating than buying the thing in the first place

thanks

Lee.

Try this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-...ing-Eyelet/dp/
B00FLWZ0MU/ref=sr_1_91?dchild=1&keywords=large+garden
+hook&qid=1592052574&sr=8-91

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My view is that joists are not designed to take point loads this way,
the floorboards normally spread the load. Maybe that's over-cautious.

Is there a loft above which you can get to? If so, some 3/4 ply used
atop some joists to spread the load is the way I'd go.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Assuming this is a ceiling joist (rather than a floor joist from the
next floor up) I'd be wary about hanging a chair from just one unless it
was near a wall plate. Unless the joist was particularly substantial I
would (probably) fix a solid piece of timber or steel across the top of
a couple of joists and then attach an eye to it. You could use some
studding to bring the attachment below ceiling level, or make a feature
by opening-up the ceiling and making a "pocket" for the thing to hang
and swing around in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a loft room above but putting ply on top of the joists will impact the floor above. Also concerned the thread would rip out of the 3/4 ply now thinking about it.

Another thought would be to screw some 8 X 2 between the joists (could screw through joists and into 8x2) with the 8" horizontal. Could then maybe bolt something through that to spread the load via a washer or something ?

I guess I could also screw some battens to the joists and then screw 3/4 ply on top of the battens. Then bolt something through that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The joists are 8 X 2 in the ceiling of this room. They are the floor joists for the room above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 12:40, Chris Hogg wrote:

Lee.

Forget the vine eyes - much too lightweight. The magnodur one looks
better, but I'd go for something like one of these
https://tinyurl.com/yccnmxde or https://tinyurl.com/yc5kbq9d and
screwed into a joist with coach bolts. More expensive, but more
secure. A few exploratory drill holes should locate the edges of the
joist, easily filled/painted afterwards, and pilot holes for the coach
bolts will help ensure they don't split the timber.

Although the latter fixing is rated at 100Kg (approx 15.5 stone) what is
the maximum dynamic load of someone jumping into the chair? With 2 bolts
to fix it without spreading the load could a single joist support the
load, especially if fitted a large distance from where the joist is
fixed to the wall?

The first fixing probably needs an area greater than the width of a
single joist for fixing and it isn't wide enough to fix to two joists

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 14:06, Lee Nowell wrote:
The joists are 8 X 2 in the ceiling of this room. They are the floor joists for the room above.

In that case, get some steel U channel made-up to straddle the joist and
extend below the ceiling, put a bolt (horizontally) between the two
cheeks of the U and hang the thing off that bolt. Rebate the back of the
floorboards above the U so that they sit flat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 13:57, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 13/06/2020 11:44, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter is getting a hanging chair for her bedroom.Â* It is
essentially made of ropes which end with a single loop at the top to
hang it from.Â* There are no other fittings with it so wondered what
the best way to hang it from the ceiling is?

Assuming I can screw it into a joist where she wants it I have the
following questions
1. What fitting to use?Â* Having had a look in Screwfix was wondering
if something like these would work
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnodur-...5-x-15mm/527jf
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-z...-10-pack/15851

or anything better?
2. If I end up with a plate type thing (such as the first link),
assume I will need to cut the plasterboard to ensure it is on the
joist itself to avoid the ceiling cracking?

If I can't get to the joist now what are my options? 3/4" ply screwed
between 2 joists (either on ceiling or between the joists) and then
what fitting?Â* Assume I will need a much broader plate type thing with
several screws to distribute the load?

Sense this is all fraught with danger and the fitting is many times
more complicating than buying the thing in the first place

thanks

Lee.

My view is that joists are not designed to take point loads this way,
the floorboards normally spread the load.Â* Maybe that's over-cautious.

Is there a loft above which you can get to?Â* If so, some 3/4 ply used
atop some joists to spread the load is the way I'd go.

I tend to agree, also it very much depends on the size of joists and how
close to the end you are. In Victorian houses the joists are typically
very much more substantial than required. Is there a habitable room
above? This may well have bigger joists than a loft. If not, and if it
is a modern house (by which I mean less than 50 years old) then I would
definitely be going into the loft and trying to engineer a support plate
spread over two joists. It also has to be said, how heavy is your
daughter (or her friends).

And, at the risk of being over-personal and/or vulgar, might it ever
have multiple occupancy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 14:18, newshound wrote:

In Victorian houses the joists are typically
very much more substantial than required.

I wouldn't bet on that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The peak load on a point source compared with one spread over a whole
beam is IIRC 2:1 bending moment

Atypical chair with 4 legs is spread over only a couple of beams max,
The floorboards don't really spread that much load further than that

Is there a loft above which you can get to?Â* If so, some 3/4 ply used
atop some joists to spread the load is the way I'd go.

won't spread a damned thing really.
Far better to e.g. double up the joist the chair hangs from

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 14:06, Lee Nowell wrote:
The joists are 8 X 2 in the ceiling of this room. They are the floor joists for the room above.

Well ignore all the advice about strengthening them then

Way more than you need. Bolt through or *serious* screw in hook

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason

Peter Thompson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 June 2020 11:44:19 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

If you are going to fasten something between the joists how about this;

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...-x-100mm/8176r

A couple of more nuts and washers needed

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 14:18:49 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

In Victorian houses the joists are typically
very much more substantial than required.

That's the vase here. We still have the ~8mm OD screw-in-eye in the
ceiling here in the lounge where we used to attach the baby bouncer
thing (so it's been there nearly 30 years) and has had me and others
hanging on it when testing the strength of stuff (like tree climbing
harnesses). ;-)

I believe I just carefully located the sides of the joist with a stud
finder, drilled a suitable hole to take the shank of the (pretty long)
screw, put a bar though it and screwed it in.

It's about 1/3 the way across the ceiling in one direction and halfway
across the other. We have had a king size waterbed in the bedroom
above as well. ;-)

I think the main issue is using a strong enough fastener and ensuring
it has a good enough structure to fix to. Here the load is spread to
the other joists by some very substantial floorboards.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 15:24:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 13/06/2020 14:06, Lee Nowell wrote:
The joists are 8 X 2 in the ceiling of this room. They are the floor joists for the room above.

Well ignore all the advice about strengthening them then

Way more than you need. Bolt through or *serious* screw in hook

When we installed the king size waterbed in the bedroom above the room
the baby bouncing chair loop in the ceiling, we hung a plumb bob from
the loop and over a metal plate laid on the floor, so that the tip of
the bob was just shy of the plate. We filled the waterbed then checked
the gap under the bob weight and it had hardly moved. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

why on earth would anyone want to hang a chair from the ceiling?
OK I guess its a cool idea, but three years on and they want to redesign
the room, Oh wear.
There used to be Egg chairs which were a kind of frame with a bar on which
hung the egg chair, shaped like an egg but with a bit cut away to make a
seat.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2020 08:25, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

why on earth would anyone want to hang a chair from the ceiling?
OK I guess its a cool idea, but three years on and they want to redesign
the room, Oh wear.
There used to be Egg chairs which were a kind of frame with a bar on which
hung the egg chair, shaped like an egg but with a bit cut away to make a
seat.

I like the, "My daughter is getting a hanging chair for her bedroom."
How old is the daughter? Did she ask, "Please, Daddy, I want a hanging
chair?" or just announce she was getting one. Why doesn't she move out
if she's adult?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2020 14:04, Lee Nowell wrote:
There is a loft room above but putting ply on top of the joists will impact the floor above.

snip

So you have to allow for the weight of a person standing on top of the
suspension point too.

No doubt a single joist will take it without failing, the question is,
will it flex enough to crack plaster?

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I asked a structural engineer I know and he wondered if she's using it for bondage practices?