Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lightweight belt sander recommendations?

I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx.
The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be
going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2020 21:58, wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx.
The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be
going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

Makita 9911 - a smaller lighter 3" belt sander. Enough power, well made
and tracks accurately...

e.g.

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-650-watt-240v

My weapon of choice when I need to do some serious flattening on Oak.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 June 2020 21:58:48 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx.
The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be
going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

I have always found cintride disks better for this sort of job.
Very aggressive and leaves swirl marks though, has to be followed up with something less savage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CINTRIDE-...-/222512172797
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2020 07:47, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 21:58:48 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx.
The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be
going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

I have always found cintride disks better for this sort of job.
Very aggressive and leaves swirl marks though, has to be followed up with something less savage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CINTRIDE-...-/222512172797

when used in an electric drill I have found them too aggressive on wood
unless filling and painting afterwards. They have a tendency when you
are not paying attention, or getting bored or tired, of suddenly digging
in and removing too much in a way that cannot be easily hidden with
further sanding.

I do however have similar small triangular version for a multi-tool that
I can control easier with respect to not removing too much.

Example (but not the best price)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carbide-Bla.../dp/B005NHPA0U

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2020 01:17, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2020 21:58, wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from
Sfx. The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and
will be going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

Makita 9911 - a smaller lighter 3" belt sander. Enough power, well made
and tracks accurately...

e.g.

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-650-watt-240v

My weapon of choice when I need to do some serious flattening on Oak.

Thanks John, I hadn't heard of that model but it seems to be exactly
what I need ... and one will arrive in my hands in a few days. FYI I
find FFX often have the best prices on things like this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from
Sfx. The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and
will be going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

Makita 9911 - a smaller lighter 3" belt sander. Enough power, well
made and tracks accurately...

e.g.

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-650-watt-240v

My weapon of choice when I need to do some serious flattening on Oak.

Thanks John, I hadn't heard of that model but it seems to be exactly
what I need ... and one will arrive in my hands in a few days. FYI I
find FFX often have the best prices on things like this.

Yup, they have been fine IME, although I have not used them that often -
I just went for the first link I had to hand from somewhere that have a
decent range of Makita kit...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2020 07:47, harry wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 21:58:48 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from Sfx.
The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and will be
going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

I have always found cintride disks better for this sort of job.
Very aggressive and leaves swirl marks though, has to be followed up with something less savage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CINTRIDE-...-/222512172797

Yup they are aggressive, but you can't use those on a ROS which require
hook and look mounting papers.

The Abranet 40 grit would be a better choice for aggressive ROS sanding.
If you need to do much of it overhead, then investing in a Mirka CEROS
or DEROS would also be worthwhile - much lighter and controllable than
most ROS, and significantly better dust collection.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm removing the old finish from some fairly large bits of oak around
the garage doors but using a random orbital sander and scraper are
taking too long, so I decided to try an el-cheapo belt sander from
Sfx. The idea works but the sander I bought (Mac MSBS900) is dire and
will be going back. Some of the job is above head height so I need a
recommendation for a light'ish 3" or 4" belt sander ... ?

Makita 9911 - a smaller lighter 3" belt sander. Enough power, well
made and tracks accurately...

e.g.

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-650-watt-240v

My weapon of choice when I need to do some serious flattening on Oak.

Thanks John, I hadn't heard of that model but it seems to be exactly
what I need ... and one will arrive in my hands in a few days. FYI I
find FFX often have the best prices on things like this.

I think I need one of those too...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx