Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dry (no-mortar) roof ridge tiles

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have them and so does my daughter they are actually fixed down with screws, ours have fixings that go between the tiles hers have screws going through the tile. I did not see exactly what our roofer did but I know he attached extra laths on the ridge as we have trusses and no ridge timber.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

yes you are....they fine better than bedding in mortar which falls out
over time ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

My artificial slate roof has them. Done some 40 years ago, and still fine.
Not sure how they are secured, though.

Other roofs in the street retained the original ridge tiles after being
replaced with artificial slate. And on all, the mortar has fallen out in
places. My guess is it would be better to use a lime mortar that allows
some movement. Which you are bound to get in a roof.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

My slate roof was recently re-done with artificial slate.
This system

https://manthorpebp.co.uk/roofing/dr...x-ridge-6m-kit

Was used to fix the ridge tiles. The roof is exposed to the full
strength of south westerly winds.
Seems to be fine so far.

--
Ask how to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My slate roof was recently re-done with artificial slate.
This system

https://manthorpebp.co.uk/roofing/dr...x-ridge-6m-kit

Ours looks the same in fact the name seems to ring a bell thinking back 18 months.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

Speaking as an aerial installer, my experience is that they're OK as
long as they're done properly. But very often they aren't. I've seen
some shocking examples.

They are a problem though, if a roof ladder is used. They tend to get
pushed sideways, and they are not strong enough to hold the hook with
complete safety. They can't be walked on either. The combination of a
clip-on ridge and slippery plastic tiles can make it impossible to
access an aerial without access machinery or scaffolding.

I've no idea what their lifespan is likely to be, but most plastic
things do eventually deteriorate in sunlight.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 08:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

yes you are....they fine better than bedding in mortar which falls out
over time ...

How do they finish the 45 degree joint with a hipped roof ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 13:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
My slate roof was recently re-done with artificial slate.
This system

https://manthorpebp.co.uk/roofing/dr...x-ridge-6m-kit

Ours looks the same in fact the name seems to ring a bell thinking back 18 months.

Richard

The fitting instructions specify one batten support at the apex of each
truss, and to use stainless steel nails and screws.

Knowing how cheapskate tradesmen work, how do you know if they have
used fewer batten supports or any old nails that they had to hand ?.

At least it is obvious from the ground if a row of ridge tiles have
been properly bedded in mortar.

If the roof has a hip then you have a three way joint between
the horizontal ridge and the two ridges each side of the hip which still
seem to need a fillet of mortar.

The main advantage seems to be to allow continuous ridge ventilation.

What is the lifespan of polypropylene exposed to UVlight ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 14:02, williamwright wrote:
On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

Speaking as an aerial installer, my experience is that they're OK as
long as they're done properly. But very often they aren't. I've seen
some shocking examples.

Thanks for confirming what I suspect must be the case.

They are a problem though, if a roof ladder is used. They tend to get
pushed sideways, and they are not strong enough to hold the hook with
complete safety. They can't be walked on either. The combination of a
clip-on ridge and slippery plastic tiles can make it impossible to
access an aerial without access machinery or scaffolding.

I've no idea what their lifespan is likely to be, but most plastic
things do eventually deteriorate in sunlight.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2020 17:03, Andrew wrote:
On 27/05/2020 08:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

yes you are....they fine better than bedding in mortar which falls out
over time ...

How do they finish the 45 degree joint with a hipped roof ?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d107SK3GdXU

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 May 2020 17:15:04 +0100, Andrew wrote:

[...]

Rather short. I keep a 1 li plastic jug by the water butts and it has to be
replaced every 2 or 3 years. It gets direct sun for about half the year for
a few hours a day.
When I moved most of the waste systems outside I used push-fit in black as
it's PP; solvent weld is OK. Also realised that solvent weld is better in
compression fittings as it's a tad bigger and is tighter in the fitting -
all the comp. that I have left (washing machine) is slack now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
I've no idea what their lifespan is likely to be, but most plastic
things do eventually deteriorate in sunlight.

Bit of a worry given all external plumbing like drainpipes etc are plastic
these days. ;-)

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
I've no idea what their lifespan is likely to be, but most plastic
things do eventually deteriorate in sunlight.

Bit of a worry given all external plumbing like drainpipes etc are plastic
these days. ;-)

made of UPVC though, not polypropylene which the manufacturers
data states.