Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Dry (no-mortar) roof ridge tiles

On Wed, 27 May 2020 17:15:04 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 27/05/2020 13:03, Tricky Dicky wrote:
My slate roof was recently re-done with artificial slate.
This system

https://manthorpebp.co.uk/roofing/dr...x-ridge-6m-kit

Ours looks the same in fact the name seems to ring a bell thinking back 18 months.

Richard

The fitting instructions specify one batten support at the apex of each
truss, and to use stainless steel nails and screws.

Knowing how cheapskate tradesmen work, how do you know if they have
used fewer batten supports or any old nails that they had to hand ?.

At least it is obvious from the ground if a row of ridge tiles have
been properly bedded in mortar.

If the roof has a hip then you have a three way joint between
the horizontal ridge and the two ridges each side of the hip which still
seem to need a fillet of mortar.

The main advantage seems to be to allow continuous ridge ventilation.

What is the lifespan of polypropylene exposed to UVlight ?.

Rather short. I keep a 1 li plastic jug by the water butts and it has to be
replaced every 2 or 3 years. It gets direct sun for about half the year for
a few hours a day.
When I moved most of the waste systems outside I used push-fit in black as
it's PP; solvent weld is OK. Also realised that solvent weld is better in
compression fittings as it's a tad bigger and is tighter in the fitting -
all the comp. that I have left (washing machine) is slack now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away