Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Dry (no-mortar) roof ridge tiles

On 27/05/2020 14:02, williamwright wrote:
On 26/05/2020 22:20, Andy Anderton wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these type of tiles? It just seems
like a bonkers idea to me. Surely they'll let all the rain in and get
blown off the first time there's a gale? Or am I just behind the times?

thanks

Speaking as an aerial installer, my experience is that they're OK as
long as they're done properly. But very often they aren't. I've seen
some shocking examples.

Thanks for confirming what I suspect must be the case.

They are a problem though, if a roof ladder is used. They tend to get
pushed sideways, and they are not strong enough to hold the hook with
complete safety. They can't be walked on either. The combination of a
clip-on ridge and slippery plastic tiles can make it impossible to
access an aerial without access machinery or scaffolding.

I've no idea what their lifespan is likely to be, but most plastic
things do eventually deteriorate in sunlight.

Bill