Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Were you taught to read a map?

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with
the map and then one knows what's what?
Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know what this
symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...ay=179145&lm=0 -
the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

I happened to come across this symbol which I've never seen before, and it
took several attempts to find an Ordnance Survey Legend web page that
included it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with
the map and then one knows what's what?
Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and
me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know what
this symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...ay=179145&lm=0 -
the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

Its completely stupid to have maps with no table
of symbols or a page of symbols and to have to
memorise the obscure ones that are hardly ever
seen and to teach that in schools.

I happened to come across this symbol which I've never seen before, and it
took several attempts to find an Ordnance Survey Legend web page that
included it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 23 May 2020 04:39:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with
the map and then one knows what's what?
Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and
me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know what
this symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...ay=179145&lm=0 -
the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

Its completely stupid to have maps with no table
of symbols or a page of symbols and to have to
memorise the obscure ones that are hardly ever
seen and to teach that in schools.

The paper maps do include a list of symbols. I wonder whether a modern one
would include all the new symbols such as this one.

The problem with online sites is that the map is "endless" rather than being
divided into 40x40 km sheets each with all the marginal stuff like scale,
instructions on how to work out a grid reference and what the symbols mean.
But web sites like Bing and Streetmap should contain a link to a page of
symbols.

The one I found is one that is probably noteworthy enough to merit a symbol,
and is a "thing" that is found more and more often nowadays.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 18:37:02 +0100, NY wrote:

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with
the map and then one knows what's what?
Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and
me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know what
this symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?

x=354045&y=179145&z=120&sv=354045,179145&st=4&ar=y &mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=704&ax=354045&ay= 179145&lm=0
-
the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

I happened to come across this symbol which I've never seen before, and
it took several attempts to find an Ordnance Survey Legend web page that
included it.

Viewpoint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

You should be able to hard press on the symbol and have the meaning pop up.

The one I found is one that is probably noteworthy enough to merit a
symbol, and is a "thing" that is found more and more often nowadays.

Sacrificial altar ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 May 2020 18:37:34 UTC+1, NY wrote:
I happened to come across this symbol which I've never seen before, and it
took several attempts to find an Ordnance Survey Legend web page that
included it.

Even looking it up, I'm not completely sure, but I have a very poor short term visual memory.

Solar farm?

There's a guide to new symbols here

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/08/04...y-map-symbols/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

I'm guessing "viewpoint"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 06:06:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Not much of a view from there, I venture to suggest. Motorways, railways,
sewage works. Wonderful.

Looks like solar panels, but a strange place to put them

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes it means danger, ridiculously long web link ahead....:-)

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's with
the map and then one knows what's what?
Not sure what aspect of it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you and
me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know what
this symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...ay=179145&lm=0 -
the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

I happened to come across this symbol which I've never seen before, and it
took several attempts to find an Ordnance Survey Legend web page that
included it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I cheated. ;-)

https://goo.gl/maps/Q2kQ9yXYZ3JZSVoA6

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes it means danger, ridiculously long web link ahead....:-)

Sorry, Brian. I couldn't find a way to shorten it.

The icon is roughly square, with a diagonal line from bottom left to top
right, dividing it into two halves. In the top left segment there is a
symbol of sun with "rays" radiating from it. The bottom right segment is all
black, like an arrow head pointing south-east.

It symbolises a solar farm - and indeed on the satellite photo on Google,
there are rows of the solar panels covering a large area. It is situated
between two motorways (M49 that goes over Severn Bridge, and M5 from Exeter
to Birmingham) north west of Bristol, in a fairly insalubrious area of
sewage works, industrial estates and trading estates, close to the Severn
Estuary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

You're allowed to cheat once you give up - that's what I did.

I like the suggestion that it's a viewpoint, because that was my first
thought until I realised that there wouldn't be much that you'd want to see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 06:06:29 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Summer solstice sunset?

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Its a target. A solar farm. best place to detonate warheads

--
when things get difficult you just have to lie

Jean Claud Jüncker
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 11:10:26 +0100, NY wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

[...]

It's quite similar to the actual viewpoint symbol (which I knew already).
The difference is subtle apart from the big black triangle, qwhich I
assume was the way you'd want to 'view'!