Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Were you taught to read a map?

In article , NY wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 21:17:54 UTC+1, Brian Gregory wrote:
Does one just look at the map that's available and any key that's
with the map and then one knows what's what? Not sure what aspect of
it would need to be taught?

That's part of what needs to be taught. It might be obvious to you
and me.

Without cheating and looking it up on Google, how many people know
what this symbol is?
https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...ay=179145&lm=0
- the black symbol in the angle between the two motorways.

Its completely stupid to have maps with no table of symbols or a page
of symbols and to have to memorise the obscure ones that are hardly
ever seen and to teach that in schools.

The paper maps do include a list of symbols. I wonder whether a modern
one would include all the new symbols such as this one.

The problem with online sites is that the map is "endless" rather than
being divided into 40x40 km sheets each with all the marginal stuff like
scale, instructions on how to work out a grid reference and what the
symbols mean. But web sites like Bing and Streetmap should contain a
link to a page of symbols.

The one I found is one that is probably noteworthy enough to merit a
symbol, and is a "thing" that is found more and more often nowadays.

I'm guessing "viewpoint"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England