Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery fluorescent torch renovation

I have an old battery (6 x D cells) torch which has a fluorescent
tube, a spotlight and a flashing light behind a red (plastic) glass.

The torch also has a DC power input of unspecified voltage which then
runs into some circuitry.

1) The battery compartment has got corrosion, half of a spring has
gone (there are two springs at the bottom, one for each set of 3
batteries), but there is continuity between the spring connections. I
plan to take a spring off a defunct 6v lantern battery to replace the
damaged spring. What would be the best way to fix it?

2) The fluorescent tube is a Sylvania White F6W/W which has probably
been superseded. 210mm x 16mm. Grey/black at one end. Is there
anyway to test if this works outside of the torch?

3) I've put a 9v supply into the torch and at least the spotlight
functions though nothing else. All the connections appear to be
accessible. What should I be measuring for the fluorescent tube?

Whilst this is one of numerous "Covid" projects I have on the go are
modern LED torches a better bet? Though I don't like the light from
my head torch or even any that I've put into lamps

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?