Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Torch + gas cartridge cheaper than torch only from Screwfix - strange!

Screwfix have the Rothenberger Superfire 2 blow torch with various
extras:-

Torch only - £92.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ng-torch/68635

Torch with MAPP gas cartridge - £84.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/92347

Torch with Propane cartridge - £79.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/83005

So who buys the 'torch only'? :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2019 12:17, Chris Green wrote:
Screwfix have the Rothenberger Superfire 2 blow torch with various
extras:-

Torch only - £92.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ng-torch/68635

But only £52 to £57 elsewhere.
MAP under £12

So who buys the 'torch only'? :-)

Overpriced in Screwfix?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Recently I needed to tighten some larger nuts where only spanners would fit so decided to upgrade my set with a few of the larger sizes. Prices started rolling in at +£10 - £20 each for some of the larger sizes. Went to Toolsatan and got a new set with all the sizes I needed plus more for £21.99, admittedly cheap and cheerful Silverline but for all the use the will get, more than adequate for my needs.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2019 14:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Recently I needed to tighten some larger nuts where only spanners would fit so decided to upgrade my set with a few of the larger sizes. Prices started rolling in at +£10 - £20 each for some of the larger sizes. Went to Toolsatan and got a new set with all the sizes I needed plus more for £21.99, admittedly cheap and cheerful Silverline but for all the use the will get, more than adequate for my needs.

Richard

With Screwfix and Toolstation being next door to one another I compare
prices between the two and used to favour Toolstation because of the
better customer experience. Where both stock identical items its 50:50
which is cheaper. One thing I noticed recently with Toolstation is the
immediate stock of some of the better quality branded items is zero
whereas some of the equivalent crap item is in plentiful supply for
immediate pick-up.

The local Screwfix are still operating the 'get served quickly and take
the money, and then wait for hours[1] until someone brings out the item
from the back warehouse' policy. Yesterday it seemed that every member
of staff was on the tills to first take the money and then have one or
two people picking goods for the dozen customers who had already paid
and were waiting.

[1] Slight exaggeration but often worse than the Argos experience during
the Christmas rush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 15 June 2019 18:59:50 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

I have a Screwfix round the corner - easy walk or cycle. And they are so friendly, helpful and fast. Mostly the person serving you goes and gets the product themselves so doesn't even have to call your number out.

Nearest Toolstation is around an hour driving away - so strictly delivery only. They have been fine for the few things I have ordered but you do have to factor in the extra days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2019 12:17, Chris Green wrote:
Screwfix have the Rothenberger Superfire 2 blow torch with various
extras:-

Torch only - £92.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ng-torch/68635

Torch with MAPP gas cartridge - £84.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/92347

Torch with Propane cartridge - £79.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/83005

So who buys the 'torch only'? :-)

This is a really cheap Butane something including gas. Can I really weld
something with it?

Blow Torch Butane Gas KIT FLAMETHROWER Welding AUTO Ignition Bottles
Soldering (BLOWTORCH + 4 Gas Bottle) Price: £11.95 FREE delivery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DVG6J9

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 10:27, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

This is a really cheap Butane something including gas. Can I really weld
something with it?

Yep, you can weld a thermo-plastic with it if you are very careful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 10:27, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 15/06/2019 12:17, Chris Green wrote:
Screwfix have the Rothenberger Superfire 2 blow torch with various
extras:-

Torch only - £92.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...ng-torch/68635

Torch with MAPP gas cartridge - £84.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/92347

Torch with Propane cartridge - £79.99
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...cylinder/83005

So who buys the 'torch only'?Â* :-)

This is a really cheap Butane something including gas. Can I really weld
something with it?

Â*Blow Torch Butane Gas KIT FLAMETHROWER Welding AUTO Ignition Bottles
Soldering (BLOWTORCH + 4 Gas Bottle) Price:Â*Â*Â*Â* £11.95 FREE delivery.
Â*https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071DVG6J9

Probably not.
Some countries call soldering welding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Can I really weld something with it?

lots of Chinese adverts confuse welding with soldering ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Can I really weld something with it?

lots of Chinese adverts confuse welding with soldering ...

In French I *think* they're the same word - souder.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 14:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Â*Can I really weldÂ* something with it?

lots of Chinese adverts confuse welding with soldering ...

Brazing has so many meanings in different jurisdictions too!