UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 249
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,107
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 11/05/2020 16:44, George Miles wrote:
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]

Switch the drill to reverse.

Mike
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 11/05/2020 16:44, George Miles wrote:
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Try it on just hammer with no rotation to see if it frees anything up.

--
Adam
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,212
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 11/05/20 16:44, George Miles wrote:
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


If the other suggestions don't work, can you get another SDS drill to
fit the bit to? If not, try "unscrewing" the bit with a universal socket
adaptor and ratchet, such as the one shown at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gator-Grip-ETC-200MO-Universal-Socket/dp/B000065CJ8

Failing that, can you unscrew it with a mole wrench clamped onto the end?

--

Jeff
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 704
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

George Miles submitted this idea :
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but
doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 352
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 7:00:11 PM UTC+1, wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but
doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.


Mole grips plus hit it with a hammer?
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,161
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.


I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.

--
Adam
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,213
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 11/05/2020 17:00, ARW wrote:
On 11/05/2020 16:44, George Miles wrote:
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Try it on just hammer with no rotation to see if it frees anything up.

Failing that, remove the drill and use a proper club hammer.
Will probably wreck the bit, but it might jar whatver has jammed
it out of the way.


  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,451
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:22:05 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.


I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.


I remember reading a short story where a student was working on motorway
construction as a summer job with others, and after a series of
incidents, two or more of them killed the bullying foreman. They decided
to drop him into the concrete shuttering on a bridge support, to stay
there for 'posterity'. Unfortubately, when they removed the shuttering,
his boot was sticking out. So they used an angle grinder and then patched
the area.

This was all told in retrospect, with reference to major redevelopment of
the motorway. One politician opposed it, he being the former student and
not wanting inquiries to be made.

If anyone knows where I can find this...



--
My posts are my copyright and if @diy_forums or Home Owners' Hub
wish to copy them they can pay me £1 a message.
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: http://www.mirrorservice.org
*lightning surge protection* - a w_tom conductor


  #11   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 297
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Mon, 11 May 2020 08:44:23 -0700 (PDT), George Miles
wrote:

One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]

I did that - drilling through an 11" cavity wall the cavity wall
filling melted around the drill bit, stuck solid. Cut it off with an
angle grinder and left the rest in place.
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,364
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Monday, 11 May 2020 19:22:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :


One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]


Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.


I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.


Yup. Of course you might end up with a cluster of jammed bits

Always give the bit enough time to clear debris, ie retract it every so often. Pushing ahead without pause invites jams - of course there are other causes too, such as loose infill stones in thick walls. If that's the issue it's going to be hell getting through it.


NT
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,212
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 12/05/20 19:37, wrote:
On Monday, 11 May 2020 19:22:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :


One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]

Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.


I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.


Yup. Of course you might end up with a cluster of jammed bits

Always give the bit enough time to clear debris, ie retract it every so often. Pushing ahead without pause invites jams - of course there are other causes too, such as loose infill stones in thick walls. If that's the issue it's going to be hell getting through it.


In old buildings with thick, but hollow, walls with a rubble infill you
can't stop now and again to retract the drill. All that does is cause
the rubble to fall down and block the hole you've just drilled. A friend
of mine had just that problem trying to put a pipe through the 30 inch
thick walls of a 17th C house. I think that in the end, after drilling
through the wall he left the bit in place, put the pipe up against the
end of it, and used a mallet to drive the pipe and bit through and out
the other side. The rubble had no opportunity to fall down using that
method.

--

Jeff
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,451
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Wed, 13 May 2020 07:57:34 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 12/05/20 19:37, wrote:
On Monday, 11 May 2020 19:22:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :


One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]

Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.

I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.


Yup. Of course you might end up with a cluster of jammed bits

Always give the bit enough time to clear debris, ie retract it every so
often. Pushing ahead without pause invites jams - of course there are
other causes too, such as loose infill stones in thick walls. If that's
the issue it's going to be hell getting through it.


In old buildings with thick, but hollow, walls with a rubble infill you
can't stop now and again to retract the drill. All that does is cause
the rubble to fall down and block the hole you've just drilled. A friend
of mine had just that problem trying to put a pipe through the 30 inch
thick walls of a 17th C house. I think that in the end, after drilling
through the wall he left the bit in place, put the pipe up against the
end of it, and used a mallet to drive the pipe and bit through and out
the other side. The rubble had no opportunity to fall down using that
method.


You need that with bungaroosh!

--
My posts are my copyright and if @diy_forums or Home Owners' Hub
wish to copy them they can pay me £1 a message.
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
*lightning surge protection* - a w_tom conductor
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,364
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 09:06:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2020 07:57:34 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/05/20 19:37, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 11 May 2020 19:22:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:


Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.

Yup. Of course you might end up with a cluster of jammed bits

Always give the bit enough time to clear debris, ie retract it every so
often. Pushing ahead without pause invites jams - of course there are
other causes too, such as loose infill stones in thick walls. If that's
the issue it's going to be hell getting through it.


In old buildings with thick, but hollow, walls with a rubble infill you
can't stop now and again to retract the drill. All that does is cause
the rubble to fall down and block the hole you've just drilled. A friend
of mine had just that problem trying to put a pipe through the 30 inch
thick walls of a 17th C house. I think that in the end, after drilling
through the wall he left the bit in place, put the pipe up against the
end of it, and used a mallet to drive the pipe and bit through and out
the other side. The rubble had no opportunity to fall down using that
method.


You need that with bungaroosh!


though to be fair if I had a house built in bungaroosh I'd probably have bigger concerns.


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

Spot on !! your tip about drilling another hole alongside to free up the main bit just saved my bacon , not to mention my drill and living room wall.
Have a pint on me..and thank god for the internet.All the years on the tools Ive never jammed a drill bit so never had to address the problem until today.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1430579-.htm

  #17   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,591
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On 06/06/2021 14:01, Andy7 wrote:
Spot on !! your tip about drilling another hole alongside to free up the
main bit just saved my bacon , not to mention my drill and living room
wall.
Have a pint on me..and thank god for the internet.All the years on the
tools Ive never jammed a drill bit so never had to address the problem
until today.


Before replying to an old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub


  #18   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

I think though in this case this is some bit of advice which should be
preserved forever, maybe in a wiki.
I actually unjamed one with a mallet, just tapped it on the end a few
times until the compacted plaster and brick fell out of the way a bit.
Brian

--

This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
...
On 06/06/2021 14:01, Andy7 wrote:
Spot on !! your tip about drilling another hole alongside to free up the
main bit just saved my bacon , not to mention my drill and living room
wall.
Have a pint on me..and thank god for the internet.All the years on the
tools Ive never jammed a drill bit so never had to address the problem
until today.


Before replying to an old post please read this:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock drilling tools--DTH hammer and bit, open pit, surface, underground ming, quarrying, tunnelling equipment, drill rod, drag bit, taper rod,taper bit, water well drilling, button bit, thread bit, shank adapter for rock drills, drill tube, drill pip Jack Home Ownership 0 May 18th 07 10:06 AM
SINO DRILLS--striking bar, extension rod, button bit, cross bit, chisel bit, DTH hammer and bit, integral drill rod, tapered rod, thread bit, tapered bit, shank adapter, ODS( ODEX, TUBEX), mine lamp [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 29th 06 02:56 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Rock drilling tools--DTH hammer and bit, open pit, surface, underground ming, quarrying, tunnelling equipment, drill rod, drag bit, taper rod,taper bit, water well drilling, button bit, thread bit, shank adapter for rock drills, drill tube, drill pip [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 13th 06 09:50 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"