Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 09:06:58 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2020 07:57:34 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/05/20 19:37, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 11 May 2020 19:22:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.

Yup. Of course you might end up with a cluster of jammed bits

Always give the bit enough time to clear debris, ie retract it every so
often. Pushing ahead without pause invites jams - of course there are
other causes too, such as loose infill stones in thick walls. If that's
the issue it's going to be hell getting through it.

In old buildings with thick, but hollow, walls with a rubble infill you
can't stop now and again to retract the drill. All that does is cause
the rubble to fall down and block the hole you've just drilled. A friend
of mine had just that problem trying to put a pipe through the 30 inch
thick walls of a 17th C house. I think that in the end, after drilling
through the wall he left the bit in place, put the pipe up against the
end of it, and used a mallet to drive the pipe and bit through and out
the other side. The rubble had no opportunity to fall down using that
method.

You need that with bungaroosh!

though to be fair if I had a house built in bungaroosh I'd probably have bigger concerns.