Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS drill bit stuck in wall

On Mon, 11 May 2020 19:22:05 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 11/05/2020 19:00, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
George Miles submitted this idea :
One of my 1.5 meter SDS drill bits is stuck in the wall.

The drill, a Titan, appears to have a clutch which means it makes a
noise but doesnt turn.

The wall is an mix of stone and lime cement.

Any tips on how to get it out please?

[george]

Angle grinder :-)

Cut it off at the wall face and leave it.

I have done that in the past (actually it was into a floor).

Sometimes running another drill bit alongside the stuck drill bit can
free it off.

I remember reading a short story where a student was working on motorway
construction as a summer job with others, and after a series of
incidents, two or more of them killed the bullying foreman. They decided
to drop him into the concrete shuttering on a bridge support, to stay
there for 'posterity'. Unfortubately, when they removed the shuttering,
his boot was sticking out. So they used an angle grinder and then patched
the area.

This was all told in retrospect, with reference to major redevelopment of
the motorway. One politician opposed it, he being the former student and
not wanting inquiries to be made.

If anyone knows where I can find this...