Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Front door do you need the triangle bit

Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross
section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the
bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The
current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit
the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

I would have thought that the triangular lip at the bottom of a door was
fairly essential to prevent rainwater running down the outside of the door,
through the vertical gap between the frame and the door, and into the house;
the lip diverts it so it falls on the outside of the frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2020 14:22, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular
cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes
along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather
protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering
if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door
looks better without it.

Up to you. You can always fit it later if rain ingress is a problem.

My front door which faces into right the weather has one on and it stops
ingress of water even in the strongest gales and rainstorms. Its
predecessor rotted away and fell to bits so it is certainly needed!

My back door which is under a partial rain shield doesn't and seems to
be fine but it almost never gets the wind driving heavy rain against it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 May 2020 14:22:28 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

Thanks

Lee.

There'slots of ways of dealing with this problem.

https://www.doorsuperstore.co.uk/blo...r-this-winter/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2020 14:22, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

It doesn't have to be wood

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguar...um-0-84m/19870

https://www.toolstation.com/stormgua...flector/p94221

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/door-ra...7bo2hfeg4tw9yw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/05/2020 14:22, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

Thanks

Lee.

Is the door protected from rain by a porch?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 May 2020 14:22:28 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

Thanks

Lee.

Drip deflector. Sometimes they're fine without, but generally should be fitted.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That normally only exists on very exposed doors, and is of limited use in my
opinion. However I guess it depends on the weather and the way the property
faces with regard to it. My front dooris recessed inside a porch and did not
have one, and the upvc one fitted outside later does not either, but it does
have a channel which drains to the outside.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross
section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the
bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The
current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit
the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

I would have thought that the triangular lip at the bottom of a door was
fairly essential to prevent rainwater running down the outside of the
door, through the vertical gap between the frame and the door, and into
the house; the lip diverts it so it falls on the outside of the frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for your thoughts. Our door has a small porch roof over it (no sides) so doesn't really get rain on it unless there is horizontal rain blowing into the door. Have never noticed any water getting in under the existing door which doesn't have one. Sounds like it is ok to fit new one without it for now and fit it if there is an issue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 May 2020 09:16:52 UTC+1, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks all for your thoughts. Our door has a small porch roof over it (no sides) so doesn't really get rain on it unless there is horizontal rain blowing into the door. Have never noticed any water getting in under the existing door which doesn't have one. Sounds like it is ok to fit new one without it for now and fit it if there is an issue?

If you never get rain come in it's not needed. It's purpose is to move rain further away.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2020 09:16, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks all for your thoughts. Our door has a small porch roof over it (no sides) so doesn't really get rain on it unless there is horizontal rain blowing into the door. Have never noticed any water getting in under the existing door which doesn't have one. Sounds like it is ok to fit new one without it for now and fit it if there is an issue?

It not just keeping the rain from getting into the house but helps in
keeping the bottom of the door dry. Water that gets under the bottom of
the door isn't likely to dry out fast and if a wooden door the wet can
penetrate possibly leading to rot or warping of the door. A wood
deflector may be oversize but there are metal alternatives that may be
smaller and not look as ugly.