Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Front door do you need the triangle bit

"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross
section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the
bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The
current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit
the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

I would have thought that the triangular lip at the bottom of a door was
fairly essential to prevent rainwater running down the outside of the door,
through the vertical gap between the frame and the door, and into the house;
the lip diverts it so it falls on the outside of the frame.