Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Front door do you need the triangle bit

That normally only exists on very exposed doors, and is of limited use in my
opinion. However I guess it depends on the weather and the way the property
faces with regard to it. My front dooris recessed inside a porch and did not
have one, and the upvc one fitted outside later does not either, but it does
have a channel which drains to the outside.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
"Lee Nowell" wrote in message
Hi All

I am changing our front door and the new one came with a triangular cross
section bit of timber (probably around 50mm X 50mm) that goes along the
bottom of the door. I assume it is some sort of weather protector? The
current door does not have anything and was wondering if it is ok to fit
the new door without it? SHMBO believes the door looks better without it.

I would have thought that the triangular lip at the bottom of a door was
fairly essential to prevent rainwater running down the outside of the
door, through the vertical gap between the frame and the door, and into
the house; the lip diverts it so it falls on the outside of the frame.