Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Managing the newsgroup infestation

A lot of people have been complaining about an individual who is forging
posts and trying to bring the group down.

It's easy to filter out his posts in Thunderbird.

See
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

This needs minor alteration for this purpose:-

At stage 2, type into the box: Message-ID

At stage 3, select Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

I feel a bit bad about suggesting this, as the guy obviously needs the
attention, but it would really be a shame if his obsession led to yet
another group closing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc,uk.legal
GB GB is offline

On 03/05/2020 18:42, GB wrote:
A lot of people have been complaining about an individual who is forging
posts and trying to bring the group down.

It's easy to filter out his posts in Thunderbird.

See
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

This needs minor alteration for this purpose:-

At stage 2, type into the box:Â*Â*Â* Message-ID

At stage 3, select Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

I feel a bit bad about suggesting this, as the guy obviously needs the
attention, but it would really be a shame if his obsession led to yet
another group closing.

Assuming that the he is he and not a her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2020 18:54, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Probably because like google groups their abuse policy is nonexistent

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Probably because like google groups their abuse policy is nonexistent

Google groups, awful though it is, does have an abuse policy and you can report abusers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Do any of the non-pest posters use neodome.net, which appears to be one
of his other accounts?

One of his characteristics is to cross-post, so just filtering out
cross-posts (see the diyfaq link) would cramp his style.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not seen any infestation more than you would normally see by means of
idiotic crossposting anywhere.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it seems
a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

aioe does not require registration; many regard it as
a troll-duct and killfile posts from there out of hand.
I recommend Eternal-September as a good, free News service.

http://www.eternal-september.org

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Probably because like google groups their abuse policy is nonexistent

Google groups, awful though it is, does have an abuse policy and you can report abusers.

Well no, you cant. I tried. It just said that the group abuse did not
exist or smoething

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

Do any of the non-pest posters use neodome.net, which appears to be one
of his other accounts?

One of his characteristics is to cross-post, so just filtering out
cross-posts (see the diyfaq link) would cramp his style.

Rather than playing whack-a-mole people could block posts from you that
are not also from eternal-september. Not Organization: A noiseless
patient Spider.

Or you could use a valid email, get an anonymous one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

If you qualify it with another term, then its ok.

I have the potty mouth version of GB killfiled like that.

Just filter on "From" and his normal posting Nym, AND "Organization"
does not contain "A noiseless patient Spider"

(or you can use presence of the "X-Mozilla-News-Host" header on the
genuine one).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/20 03:42, GB wrote:
A lot of people have been complaining about an individual who is forging
posts and trying to bring the group down.

It's easy to filter out his posts in Thunderbird.

See
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng_cross_posts

This needs minor alteration for this purpose:-

At stage 2, type into the box: Message-ID

At stage 3, select Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

I feel a bit bad about suggesting this, as the guy obviously needs the
attention, but it would really be a shame if his obsession led to yet
another group closing.

if you are referring to the peeler,check any relation to a poster called
ordog
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:46:33 +0100, (Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:26:21 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 20:54:41 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

aioe does not require registration; many regard it as
a troll-duct and killfile posts from there out of hand.
I recommend Eternal-September as a good, free News service.

http://www.eternal-september.org

I found it most unreliable. I prefer to pay EUR 10 to
News.Individual.NET each year..

YMMV; I've used E-S for many years now with only
the occasional outage. I use a similar service from
Albasani as backup when that happens.

Well ..... yes, but the outages could last about a day.

If you're dissatisfied you can always apply for a refund.

I am happy to pay EUR 10 instead. You get what you pay for,
as my granny used to say.

Indeed. The main purpose of my recommendation of E-S was as
a suggestion for any non-troll posters who might like to have
a more reputable News service than aioe to post with; one that
doesn't get killfiled out of hand. It wasn't intended for anyone
who already uses a decent service. As it happens, I switched
from NIN to E-S when NIN started charging for access; NIN is
a good service, there's no doubt about that. OTOH I find that
free E-S is generally just as good, for my usage case at least.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2020 20:31:16 +0100, (Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:46:33 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:26:21 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 20:54:41 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

[...]

Maybe I was just unlucky. I don't think we disagree fundamentally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/05/2020 17:54, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

In T-bird's Tools Message Filters [your filter], click on Edit,
ensure 'Match all of the following' is selected.

Add another filter line under the Message-ID line by clicking on the +
symbol

Select 'From', select 'does not contain', write in the third box the
From identity of someone whose aioe posts you want to see, Click OK.

You can add more From lines as necessary.

This will filter all aioe posts bar those you want to see.

--
Spike