Norman Webb

Default managing a service department

I am looking for info on efficient management of a service department doing
electronic scales and automatic meat slicer repairs.

Would appreciate any pointers to this info either books or online.

Michael A. Terrell

Norman Webb wrote:

I am looking for info on efficient management of a service department doing
electronic scales and automatic meat slicer repairs.

Would appreciate any pointers to this info either books or online.

Is this all on site repair, all in your shop, or a mix of both? Is
there loaner equipment that needs to be tracked and maintained? Are all
spare parts owned by you, the customer, or does it vary with the
customer?

You need to write down all your requirements before you try to define
the specifications or you will end up with a less than optimal solution,
or even worse, a totally unworkable system. Depending on the size of
the business it may be very simple. If you have a lot of employees and
or multiple locations it will take more work to set up the right system.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Norman Webb

Is this all on site repair, all in your shop, or a mix of both? Is
there loaner equipment that needs to be tracked and maintained? Are all
spare parts owned by you, the customer, or does it vary with the
customer?

You need to write down all your requirements before you try to define
the specifications or you will end up with a less than optimal solution,
or even worse, a totally unworkable system. Depending on the size of
the business it may be very simple. If you have a lot of employees and
or multiple locations it will take more work to set up the right system.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Thanks for your reply.

The service Department of our Sales and Service business has a service
manager and 6 technicians.
At present the service department is not computer contolled and uses a paper
trail before data is entered for invoicing. The Service manager is new to
the job having previously been promoted from a technician position. As we
wish to grow the business I am going to do a work study of the operation.

My business experience in the service industry dates back 12 years so I was
searching for uptodate thinking on management principles but can't seem to
Google the right info.

Regards
Norm

Michael A. Terrell

Norman Webb wrote:

[...]

I had some decent programs bookmarked, but all the links are bad so I
can't give you any good leads. That's what happens when you're off line
for a year.
--
?

Michael A. Terrell