Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Managing the newsgroup infestation

On Mon, 4 May 2020 20:31:16 +0100, (Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:46:33 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 21:26:21 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Scott wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2020 20:54:41 +0100,
(Sn!pe) wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

GB wrote:

Message-ID ... contains ... aioe.org

Unfortunately several non-pest posters use aioe (I don't know why it
seems a bit of a refuge for spammers any nym-shifters)

aioe does not require registration; many regard it as
a troll-duct and killfile posts from there out of hand.
I recommend Eternal-September as a good, free News service.

http://www.eternal-september.org

I found it most unreliable. I prefer to pay EUR 10 to
News.Individual.NET each year..

YMMV; I've used E-S for many years now with only
the occasional outage. I use a similar service from
Albasani as backup when that happens.

Well ..... yes, but the outages could last about a day.

If you're dissatisfied you can always apply for a refund.

I am happy to pay EUR 10 instead. You get what you pay for,
as my granny used to say.

Indeed. The main purpose of my recommendation of E-S was as
a suggestion for any non-troll posters who might like to have
a more reputable News service than aioe to post with; one that
doesn't get killfiled out of hand. It wasn't intended for anyone
who already uses a decent service. As it happens, I switched
from NIN to E-S when NIN started charging for access; NIN is
a good service, there's no doubt about that. OTOH I find that
free E-S is generally just as good, for my usage case at least.

Maybe I was just unlucky. I don't think we disagree fundamentally.